Discuss Electrical question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

I know some of you esteemed gentlemen occasionally dip into the cesspool that is electrickery so before sullying myself by visiting the sparky forum I'll ask here...

We're refurbishing our rental flat and the electrics are "interesting".

Economy 7 (we want rid of it)
All sockets on one ring (whole property under 100m2)
One circuit for storage heaters (removed a long while ago)
Immersion on it's own fuse
Shower and cooker on one fuse (well over it's capacity)

We are getting rid of fuse board, replacing with modern consumer unit.
Shower getting it's own RCBO
Oven getting it's own RCBO
Hob getting a new spur directly off consumer unit, it's own RCBO
Two new spurs off separate RCBOs for space heaters in bedroom and living room
Various sockets being relocated

We've been told that if we do major works such as a rewire (or have an extension built etc) then the kitchen MUST be on a separate ring to comply with regs.

My question is - does the above count as a rewire? Obviously it's not a full rewire but in my opinion it's a major enough piece of work to count as such and therefore need to comply. SWMBO (degree in electrical engineering) disagrees. no dispute that it's good practice to have a separate ring, but is it obligatory?

I have in mind Part L, and how a number of "component upgrades" ***ulatively become classed as a "system upgrade", necessitating fuller compliance. But I don't know if this applies to electrics as it does to gas & heating...

TIA,
Masood

Yes mate . Why all the rcbo? U can get a fully loaded 17th ed board from poo sticks for £80

If your repalcing stuff but not altering the circuit then its not a rewire and must be left no worse than it was before

Hi masood. Defo some bad electrics stated there especially cooker n shower on same fuse, plus only 1 ring main , so remember kitchen totally seperate , but what youl probably find is junction box city hiding behind walls if your doing any tear downs so prob best to re wire or get circuits tested but youl just get told what you already know its just a case of knowing how far to go, good luck

Any new works must comply with current 17th edition, so RCBO's are not a bad option. Most people go for a split board with RCD's. In any event you will require a full Electrical Works Certificate and Part P building Regulations Certificate to say that the new works comply. Any pre existing electrics must be safe, but may not satisfy current regulations.

Thanks all. I'm in favour of a full rewire for safety's sake. The place is gutted at the moment so seems like the best time. Mrs B was hoping to get it done and dusted a bit quicker than it will take.

Why RCBOs? I asked the same question - seems overkill to me. But SWMBO insists and to be fair, although more expensive they are a better product. Although we're renting it out for now, we're planning on living here eventually so not too worried about cost...

RCBO's Are a combined RCD and MCB, so if you use them you don't have to faff around arranging your circuits on a split board. ie: upstairs lighting circuit on different split to down stairs circuit.

RCBO's Are a combined RCD and MCB, so if you use them you don't have to faff around arranging your circuits on a split board. ie: upstairs lighting circuit on different split to down stairs circuit.
And a duff circuit or appliance on a circuit thats tripping will be easier to pin down quickly. I would have rcbos over split board any day despite extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrical question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Friend has been notified by their Freeholder that the communal Boiler for heating and H/W will need upgrading at a cost of 80-100K per apartment...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in an apartment where we own a ariston aures slim water heater which is used to heat my bathroom and kitchen sinks (installed...
Replies
Views
It seems a simple question so I hope this is enough info to require only a simple answer for you guys to give. I have an existing installation...
Replies
Views
Ive been asked to remedy the low water pressure at the x8 electric shower outlets at a care home. Currently its an open vented system, with heat...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Greenstar wall mounted Danesmoor oil fired condensing boiler and a separate water heater immersion cylinder (Range Tribune HE)...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock