Discuss DIY water harvesting!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ADM360

Evening all, Thought I put this out there as a another one one of my hair brain schemes!!

We have just moved to a new house and are on a water meter, so to save a bit on the bills I am proposing to set up a rain water harvesting system, but as it is a social landlord I'm not going down the "official route"!!

I am planning to set up 3 IBC's (3000lts should be enough?) 2 behind the shed where they can't be seen connected to 1 by the house, (triple filtered for freshness if it was Vodka it'd be worth a fortune) where I can pipe it round the house to both WC's and Washing machine, I just need to work out he pump arrangements? cost and ease of use are important!! Thought if I could find a negative head shower pump off the internet auction site for not a lot that would suit it great!! would really like to run the dishwasher and shower from the stored water but am hit by water reg's and potable water issues and can't see a low cost way round that?

Any thoughts?

Cheers Tony.:shades_smile:

Not sure I'd want anything that came from harvesting washing me/my dishes/my clothes.

Toilet fill only for me

Fitted UV sets on water pumped up from streams, the same stream that the septic tank over flows into ever now and then!! that's farmers for you!!

I'm quite new to it too! just don't want to spend out on UV set and filter packs to save a couple of quid!! return on the investment and all that!!

Tempted to do the same thing for my parents house loos.
when i pull out a shower pump next.
set up a separate feed and put a non return on the potable side just incase both isolators were ever left open.

Need to find a cheap pump to automatically get it up to the first floor!! less hassle than going for a loft tank and all that!!

Need to find a cheap pump to automatically get it up to the first floor!! less hassle than going for a loft tank and all that!!

Single impeller shower pump in a little enclosure outside would do ?

i run a couple of old cwst on a flat roof to do my wcs. one fill valve on mains the other on the tamks, works a treat. If your going to store water in ibc tanks youll need to black them up or youll just get green water after a few weeks!, but they are ok for washing clothes,not you dishes though!

Yes negative

Whatever pump you use would have to have a flow switch anyway?

Pretty much a shower pump

Is it centralheatking or tamz whos a expert on rainwater harvesting?

Theres a topic related to this in the renewables section of the forum i believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIY water harvesting!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
Back