Search the forum,

Discuss Different flow rates on ground floor in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I've bought a four bed house, it's about 20 years old and has an adjacent garage. It has a downstairs toilet, utility room and kitchen and upstairs there's a main bathroom and an ensuite shower room. It has a vented system with boiler in garage heating cylinder on landing and a 40 gallon cold water tank in the loft. I believe only one cold tap (usually kitchen) has to be mains-fed but I've been told that all downstairs taps are probably off the mains. The boiler is pretty new and we don't want the expense of changing it all over at the moment so I was considering getting a pump for the poor water pressure we get upstairs. Just got a few questions about different issues we've encountered.

1. The water pressure measured on an outside tap using a gauge is between 2 and 2.5 bar but the flow rates in the kitchen cold (5 LPM), utility cold (12 LPM), and outside tap (10 LPM) are massively different to the downstairs toilet cold (30 LPM) and I'm just baffled as to why that would be?

2. Should I get a twin impeller pump for the entire house? I want to increase hot water pressure around the entire house but would it cause problems with mixer showers if I just did the hot water pressure?

3. My 40 gallon loft tank doesn't appear to be adequate for the pumps I'm researching. Should I add another tank to increase stored volume or ditch and go for a bigger tank? I doubt we'll ever run out of water, we don't tend to ever shower at the same time (two adults and a baby occupy house) but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

4. A previous plumber told me the incoming mains is 15mm and that switching it to 22mm will give me better flow rates - is that right? I mentioned this to another plumber who was giving me a quote and he didn't think it was correct. I'm a novice but I love reading up on all this and I thought a house with a vented system is likely to have 22mm running throughout house and 15mm to the taps/showers?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Reply to Different flow rates on ground floor in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
S
Pumps and low pressure I moved the bathroom to the back the house (next room) upstairs. I put in two pumps because low pressure water area. One for shower and one for bath. They both work intermittently and I often need to get them started with a magnet! They were new pumps. In the shower the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock