Discuss Did any of you find it hard when you first started up by yourself? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this website, seems I've been missing out..anyway here's my tuppence worth..Next time you see a builder, pull up and go and have a chat, introduce yourself and pass out a couple of cards. Word of mouth works better than any advertising. That said, I use the local free paper as every household gets it, but never pay the full rate! I've been going for about 6 years, I get work from a bunch of IKEA kitchen fitters,several builders and occasionally someone who wanders into a merchants looking a bit dazed. Its hard going sometimes but is more rewarding than any work I did for an employer! Try and avoid yellow pages etc as they are outdated and overpriced and never buy into the "your business on a wallchart for the police,fire brigade or NHS staff.." scam thats been going for years! Good luck..

Trying placing an advert for your area in Gumtree.com they have just started a big tv advertising campaign. To be honest I have just placed an ad (two days ago) and as yet had no replies but a mate got two jobs from five quotes in the last month.

Actually come to think of it I might be in the wrong game as he is a chippie!

Ive used gumtree quite a bit, I don't get instant replies, usually within a month or so, the only thing about gumtree in my experience is people want the jobs doing for practically nothing.

I know noones mentioned it yet but maybe drop your call out rate. Not totally but maybe a bit. If you think about it if you had said ÂŁ20 call out rate (thats mine) and he'd have been happy you may have got recommended off him and boom bathroom suite CH install anything. In my opinion (I've been self employed for a year and I don't go one week without a call now) at the beggining YOU should be paying them to come out and see the job. Because its the best form of advertising you can get. When you think about it. Just get your bloody foot in the door don't let your own charges stop you.

Here's the thing, no-one is ever happy to pay unless they've got water pouring through the ceiling. If its 9-5 I don't do call out charges. Its a personal thing but its in my normal working day. I will turn up, have a look at the job and then price accordingly, if I can I will do it immediately.

If your sitting down at 6pm with your dinner on your lap and watching "The Simpsons" its a different matter.

Most problems are not urgent and can be scheduled for the next day. Its quite good practise (in my opinion) to have a look around the airing cupboard or at the boiler for the filling loop etc. If its unvented have a look at the pipe work and try and figure out where it all goes and what it does.

Very rarely is a job as easy as it first appears. So, don't worry about not getting the job! its hard and I still think (18 Months) down the road that I've over priced a job. If you think its worth ÂŁxx then its worth it. If someone wants to do it for less, let them and let them have the problem.

Some people will always go "cheap cheap".

But in answer to your question, it is hard and I am still finding it quite difficult but stress not hang on and things will get there. Slowly but surely.

Hmm!

Its hard at first try linking to a smaller established company for any work they might have. Try local housing associations, local churches and schools. Join the Chamber of Commerce. It just takes time.

hi guy
your doing what everyone else is doing,ads,yell.com etc etc and quite simply theres too many chasing to few jobs
unless you do something totally different or just happen to be in the right place at the right time this is whats its like
can you do something else(tiling,property maintenance)etc you have to keep pro active and create opportunities
bob

hi guy
your doing what everyone else is doing,ads,yell.com etc etc and quite simply theres too many chasing to few jobs
unless you do something totally different or just happen to be in the right place at the right time this is whats its like
can you do something else(tiling,property maintenance)etc you have to keep pro active and create opportunities
bob

Too right I do abit of everything you gotta its not about being a plumber its about getting a wage by hook or by crook sometimes.

The important thing is not to expect to be getting jobs every day, every week sure you'll have busy periods but mostly you will have quiet periods but be patient succesful businesses don't grow overnight! i am self employed but sometimes struggle but truthfully it is worth it

I must be lucky then, Have been on my own and have not had one day off yet. Working alot of 12hour days as well.

Have you considered sub contracting to other firms?

If you have your gas safe BG are crying out for people. Dunno about the servicing but if your quick and efficient the installation work is good, fairly easy to earn 600 a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Did any of you find it hard when you first started up by yourself? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Love
Hi ladies and gents, Just thought I'd give you a laugh. As some of you are aware, I'm currently the owner of a newsagent's shop out in the...
Replies
Views
Had a job booked in this morning, renew all rads in the property. Downstairs rads are in solid floor so customer said just change rads and alter...
Replies
Views
A
I've had a plumber working on my house renovation for a few months, I am paying him for the whole job. Its a company so the boss rarely shows up...
Replies
Views
basildog
B
R
Here's the back up poll for people who were ineligible for the free boiler, but nevertheless put pen to paper in an orgy of rhyming couplets and...
Replies
Views
Masood
M

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock