Currently reading:
Fed up with my plumber! (sorry, this is a long rant)

Discuss Fed up with my plumber! (sorry, this is a long rant) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a clifford

I've had a plumber working on my house renovation for a few months, I am paying him for the whole job.
Its a company so the boss rarely shows up but sends lads round to do the work - occasionally!
We have a deadline to be completed by December and have other trades on site. The fact that the boss hasn't even got his lads to complete first fix yet is starting to hold the other trades up.
I have made many phone calls to the boss and the office to complain about various things (rubbish being swept under floor boards, including drinks bottles and crisp packets being one).
I have also complained numerous times that things are going too slowly but he always turns it around and says he is waiting for ME to buy things (i.e radiators which I wanted, as not using ones he supplies. These have been sat in the lounge for a month now).
My builder is now seriously behind as the lad working this week is doing half days and going off to other jobs. Not the lads fault but what I believe to be bad management by the boss.
The numerous calls I have made seem to be getting me nowhere.
I have now arranged for another plumber to come to the property tomorrow to quote to complete the job.
Can I legitimately end the agreement (mainly verbal) and pay him for work carried out so far (will be difficult to work out)?
Am I being too fussy?
Is this "normal" for all plumbers?!

its your money. pay somebody else if you feel you need to but pay current plumber for whats been done. once you lose trust in somebdy its best to move on.

Hi A Clifford, and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are project managing your own job? It sounds like you have engaged the trades separately, rather than allowing the builder to manage the project and use his own subbies.

It also sounds like you are supplying materials, so the job is labour only for your plumbing contractor?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but both of these things are usually a recipe for problems, unless you have some solid experience in the field.

If your plumber was posting on the thread, is it possible that he would be complaining about sending labour to your site, only to find that either key materials weren't on hand, or were wrong spec, or that other trades hadn't reached the necessary stage for his lads to get on?

Take a look at the rules of contracts. A contract can be written or verbal, but verbal can be difficult to prove exactly what was agreed, if one side disputes it.
A contract, from what I remember, requires 3 points to be met.
You will have to pay for any materials supplied & work carried out to date by the plumber. Except, perhaps, any of the parts of the work or materials that were seriously flawed.
Try to negotiate with the plumber in a letter by registered post in a friendly manner. He might want out anyhow.
Depends what agreement you have, written & oral, but if you had a timescale, then read this, -

Defective performance – where a person promises to do one thing butdoes another, which differs, for example, in time, quantity or quality,this amounts to a breach.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are using it as a hospital job. Targets have to be met, get strong with them and have clear objectives to meet the contract, or out them.

I always find in situations like this is that there are two sides to the story and the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

You need to sit down and set targets. If he cant meet them then go from there. Be good to be a fly on the wall for that one :)

Hi A Clifford, and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are project managing your own job? It sounds like you have engaged the trades separately, rather than allowing the builder to manage the project and use his own subbies.

It also sounds like you are supplying materials, so the job is labour only for your plumbing contractor?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but both of these things are usually a recipe for problems, unless you have some solid experience in the field.

If your plumber was posting on the thread, is it possible that he would be complaining about sending labour to your site, only to find that either key materials weren't on hand, or were wrong spec, or that other trades hadn't reached the necessary stage for his lads to get on?

Yes Im project managing, its the 4th time so I know what Im doing!
He was supposed to supply all fittings, but then kept asking me to get them for him - so I have done.
All materials have been ready for him, like I said the rads have been there for months.

Well, a long email was sent last night. With the threat of ending the job. He replied and is on site today with 2 lads. Its taken us 5 hours to go through everything and agree where to proceed next.
Just a shame I had to use threats to get him on site and get some work done!!

It sounds to me that the relationship between both of you has broken down - in which case you will need to settle with your outgoing plumber and engage another. Beware that most outfits are quite astute and will notice some work has taken place - they will not guarantee that bit and will be quite suspicious of you - I would and maybe ask around about you at the local plumbers merchants.

If you had no proper contract then the whole thing is a nightmare - CHK

Sounds like you have had enough of your plumber as said probably time to move on

Post your area there maybe some in your area that could help you

Well, a long email was sent last night. With the threat of ending the job. He replied and is on site today with 2 lads. Its taken us 5 hours to go through everything and agree where to proceed next.
Just a shame I had to use threats to get him on site and get some work done!!

At least you are heading in the right direction.

I would never ever jump on the back of another plumbers work without consulting him its usually in my experience the customer who has become the issue and therefore a swift body swerve is called for..brum customers should stick to being customers and not try to be property developers it just does not work..brum

Last edited:
I would never ever jump on the back of another plumbers work without consulting him its usually in my experience the customer who has become the issue and therefore a swift body swerve is called for..brum customers should stick to being customers and not try to be property developers it just does not work..brum

I wonder if there's a forum out there somewhere for irate plumber's who can vent their spleen about non paying customers and customers who say they will provide materials on time and don't. I want my £700, my £250 and my mate wants his £900 off the famous footballer who didn't pay him after all his work correcting his household boilers. Rant Over !!!!!!!!

You can't stereo-type anyone, everything goes by its own merits. Plumber is there to complete the contract whether verbal or written. If you choose to supply labour only as part of the contract, don't whinge about it, get on and complete. Personally I would only do Labour and materials as it makes things simple.

You say you have run jobs 4 times so you know what you are doing ?
Dream on it takes a lifetime then some things still bite you in the bum !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fed up with my plumber! (sorry, this is a long rant) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back