Discuss Boiler spares in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skelly87

Hi to all you gas safe plumbers on here, quick question. Im not gas safe and as such wont touch boilers. Ive been called to a libary to look at a leak in a back room. Turns out the condensate from the boiler is leaking. Its the joint that connects the boiler to the plastic overflow pipe. I wanted to know, do you need to be gas safe to firstly work on this and secondly buy any spare parts needed??

No, (most on here would argue that if you have to remove the casing to effect the repair then you must be) I would say use your common sense, so long as you understand the requirements for condensate removal, then if you have to remove the casing to hold the pipe connection leaving the boiler then so be it, just make sure the casing goes back on correctly & nothing else is touched.
Spare parts - well it seems to depend on where you go !

No, (most on here would argue that if you have to remove the casing to effect the repair then you must be) I would say use your common sense, so long as you understand the requirements for condensate removal, then if you have to remove the casing to hold the pipe connection leaving the boiler then so be it, just make sure the casing goes back on correctly & nothing else is touched.
Thanks for reply chris. Front casing is still on but the bottom casing was actually already off when i arrived and has been since the last service apparently. I think the problem is just a washer, dont know if its specific size to the boiler or not

it may be the syphon is cracked under the nut ive had a few of those if not its either the washer or it may just need a tighten

Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances
Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
Approved Code of Practice and guidance

From Regulation 2(1)
“gas fittings” means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used.

From Regulation 2
“work” in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not, that is to say -
(b) maintaining, servicing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas;

From Regulation 3
(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

...just make sure the casing goes back on correctly & nothing else is touched.

How would you know - a boiler casing goes back on correctly? On some boilers there's more to it... I wouldn't touch it without the gas ticket.

Reading the above gas Regs - taking a gas boiler cover off is deemed to be a gas work.

especially if it is positive pressure boiler!!!.
can o worms advice..

Technically, if you leave a condensate open/leaking, there's a chance (however remote) that POC's can leak into the building.

How would you know - a boiler casing goes back on correctly? On some boilers there's more to it... I wouldn't touch it without the gas ticket.
How would an electrician be able to wire up a boiler then ?? or are you suggesting that only GSR electricians can connect to them, there has to be a modicum of commen sense & as ever vested interests will put there own slant on it.

From a BAXI Installation & Servicing Instructions:

The appliance is suitable only for installation in GB and IE and should be installed in accordance with the rules in force, and only used in a suitably ventilated location.
In GB, the installation must be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered Installer. It must be carried out in accordance withthe relevant requirements of the:
• Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations.
• The appropriate Building Regulations either The BuildingRegulations, The Building Regulations (Scotland), BuildingRegulations (Northern Ireland).
• The Water Fittings Regulations or Water Byelaws inScotland.
• The Current I.E.E. Wiring Regulations.

It does look like it has to be a GSR.

Last edited:
From a Vaillant MI:

Note
Installation and maintenance of the unit may
only be undertaken by a competent person approved
at the time by the Health and Safety
executive and in accordance with the Gas Safety
(Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Same thing.

How would an electrician be able to wire up a boiler then ?? or are you suggesting that only GSR electricians can connect to them, there has to be a modicum of commen sense & as ever vested interests will put there own slant on it.

why would any gsr technician need a sparkie to wire in a boiler?

Rightly or wrongly... The legal position is that if you pay the GSR large amounts of money... you are deemed to be a competent person. You could be a total muppet, but if you've paid your fees... you are "legally" competent !

Rightly or wrongly... The legal position is that if you pay the GSR large amounts of money... you are deemed to be a competent person. You could be a total muppet, but if you've paid your fees... you are "legally" competent !
You can pay as much as you want but without the ACS - Gas Safe won't even look at you!

You can have your ACS, Masters degrees, Doctorates, even be the guy that designed the boiler in the first place... But, unless you pay the outrageous fees... it's illegal to touch it... that's the point. The only legal obligation of GSR is to take our fees !!

Gas Safe Register is here to help keep you and your family safe.

I think the corgi/gas safe scheme was a step in the right direction, but as with so many things that are introduced by governments, there was no coordinated framework of training to bring people up to the required standard. Consequently, there was a scramble by plumbers and others to get themselves "qualified" so that they could charge 'gas safe rates', hence there are quite a few muppets around who call themselves engineers. Bringing in a register without the necessary training framework contributed to the creation of a skill shortage which meant that the bar for competence was kept as low as possible, which has happened in various industries that have been poorly resourced due to the privatisation of training.

Now the skill shortage has turned into a surplus, the time has come to up the standards and cull the muppets and ensure that there is a coordinated training framework that filters out those who are not up to the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler spares in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Grant Vortex 50/90 condensing oil boiler where the air tube spigot over the fan is not connected to the existing flue, should this be closed off...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi, can anyone tell me which pipes are flow and return please. I removed old leaking 2008 C26 firebird oil boiler in June . We have now...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock