Search the forum,

Discuss Best Budget combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I was just wondering what you guys fit for those customers, or landlords in this case, that want a new combi fitted but dont want to spend much?

As a rule, I avoid cheap boilers, but if they want budget, I make it clear its there decision and false economy etc etc.

I've only ever fitted a couple of Baxi 105 HE's before, which I've not had a problem with, but I have read several stories of them being unreliable and troublesome.

So can anyone recommend another boiler that is in the same price band as the 105 for comparison?

Cheers

I tend to mainly fit baxi duo-tec very rarely have problems but if its for a landlord and price is a issue i either fit a Maine or potterton depending on what i can get at the time at the right price

i fit broag remehas for private customers and landlords, that way i know they are going to work. if the landlord wants cheap, i point out my callouts of an evening are expensive and they either give me the work or head for the cowboys and can ride off in the sunset together. to much hassle working with cheapskate landlords, who never want to pay for reasonable and safe work.

I fit Broag's also Oldplumber, It's my first choice and I've fitted 20 odd with no callbacks at all. Unfortunately I can't afford to turn away work at the moment so it's gotta be something cheaper.

shed boiler 415 quid, broag avanta 28eco 515. for an extra 100 quid add it to your labour bill and up that.

I fit Broag's also Oldplumber, It's my first choice and I've fitted 20 odd with no callbacks at all. Unfortunately I can't afford to turn away work at the moment so it's gotta be something cheaper.
i have never fitted an oldplumber (supose thats a shed brand?:confused::D) but main is good at ÂŁ460.

Most new boilers are reliable too a certain extent,i personally think that most problems are caused by what the boiler is fitted too,Even Valliants & Wb s can be unreliable if thrown onto a system that hasnt been cleaned proper, be honest how many dirty sytems do u come across i know ive seen plenty and it aint fair too blame the boiler.
Most of the time the installer aint going back too fix it(ie 2 & 3 year old ega jobs).
Sorry forgot about IDEAL i take that back.
My point is that usally problems are caused by something as opposed to manufacturering faults.

Baxi duotecs is the cheapest I will fit, maybe even a glow worm at a push. Usually fit viessmann's or worcesters though

Interesting topic, We mainly fit Worcesters but if they want a cheaper option we go for Main and have done for about 2 years, fitted loads and not had any problems with them. Prefer the B rated, cheaper and the jig is easier to work with. The Main Eco I think its called, the A rated, can be a very awkward jig, almost requiring most final joints not to be soldered before the boiler is on the wall.

Vokera compact HE are good budget boilers, cheap to repair(the majority of the time).

Stay clear of aristons, glowworms and Saunier duvals. Terrible boilers IMHO

Stay clear of aristons, glowworms and Saunier duvals. Terrible boilers IMHO

Agree with glowworms and Saunier Duvals,however the new range of Aristons are very good boilers and after sales is second to non,however they are well over priced now and do not come under budget combi's any more,that probably why you do not see new Ariston's very often now,I could not justify paying so much for one :(

I would go for mains combi,wish they were a bit lighter though and stop sticking that plastic covering all over the casing :mad:

Main? I've never heard of these before? Certainly never worked on one.

Going back to aristons for a minute, there fault finding charts are terrible, it says things like check pcb, what do they mean by this? Could they not say check for power here or test resistance accross 29 & 30 or anything that might help prove a fault one way or the other but no they put check pcb, thanks for nothing ariston, rant over

I just knew Main from their multipoints before this boiler, Main Medway?
Fitted a Main 24 HE yesterday, went very well. You're right about the weight and the plastic film all over the casing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Budget combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock