Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss baxi bermuda w2 fire surround removal ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

novgsi

Hi there

need a bit help with our old fire surround. i am doing my house out atm and am now trying to update the fire place a bit cause it looks a bit old lol .

will post pics below soon .

anyway i want to remove the wood surround and chop of the ends of the surround where the lights are . so that i can fit a new modern fire place surround around the existing old baxi fire .

so if any one could please tell me the steps to remove the surround that would be much appreciated.

mods sorry if in wrong section please move .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding of making alterations to gas appliances whatever they are is a no no.I wouldnt touch that .
How do you know if the fire surround has the correct clearance for the fire anyway.
Get a Gas Safe fitter.

understand what your saying but am not changing or modding the middle part of the fire thats staying the same only the wood ends getting replaced with better looking wood sides :)

I understand,but its still classed as altering a CE approved appliance so for that reason novgsi "I,m out.

ok thanks anyway mate anyone else ?

sounded like dragons den for a min there hahahaha :)

contact baxi to get their oponion,doubt they will approve it though.

baxi wont agree to this. you cant alter a gas appliance without re-submitting it for a new GC number (to confirm it is still safe to use) poss a bit OTT for this alteration but nevertheless they wont give you written permission to do it, there could possibly be an air intake on the bit you alter therefore it could compromise the safe working
you and i know it wont but that is what will be the result of your request

yeah it is OTFT like. about intake there is a massive gap at the bottem that plenty air will pass through

No you cannot do it . You have asked for advise and have been given advise which it appears you are choosing to ignore ! No offence (for the moderators) but it is this sort of attitude to gas appliances that gets people killed !

i know mate am just peed off with it atm now anyway i have a gas man who services our system every year coming out in few days to have a look at what i would like to do shall see what he says no dought it will be the same as you guys have said :(

i just cant see how what am wanting to do is going to cause any probs am not touching any gas pipes etc.

thanks you for all the help though guys appreciated will post when the gasman comes out to have a look .

and i know what he will say no chance you can not modify a gas appliance

is that correct ?

well our gas safe engineer came out thismorning and gave me the go ahead :)he says i am not touching the fire its self or any pipes i am only modding the decorative part of the fire and he has also seen it done before with the same style of fire . so today cut the ends away from the surround its back on the wall with new surround around it and working sweet and looking alot better than it has done for years lol :)

I don't get it, the lights are not part of the appliance are they, so it wouldn't really be modifying the fire.

So I don't see why you can't change the surround.

You will get no one one here or any other forum no doubt that will commit themselves to an answer.
It is a bit ridiculous sometimes as common sense seldom prevails anymore but that is the way it is i'm afraid.

You may be able to get a replacement firefront that will be a direct replacement like a C3/W or a GF Super or LFE Super. Speak to your gas man.

Btw not saw one of those since ohhh around early 80's so your boiler is over 25 and not exactly efficient. The only thing it has going for it is there is nothing much on it to break down.
Think about changing it for a wall mounted. You can then fit any fire that pleases you and your bills will drop a good bit too.

i know thanks anyway guys.
yeah its a old system for sure but a good heat of it :) bills are high though . will have to get the whole system replaced at some point but not got that kind of cash atm. had problem with our header tank bottem pipe feeding the hot water tank downstair was all corroded and was full of rust so am thinking the tank could be full as well . but water is clean so maybe its not .

heres a wee pic of the fire so far just have to paint the fire now black or white not sure yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to baxi bermuda w2 fire surround removal ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock