Search the forum,

Discuss balanced flue for gas water heater. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris21

Are there flue extension kits available for gas water heaters, so I can divert the fumes away from the kitchen window?

Call a gas safe engineer to come and have a look

Out your postcode in to the gas safe website and many will come up to help you

If its a natural draught balanced flue it is very unlikely you will get an approved flue modification. You will have to get a GSR engineer to move the heater to a more appropriate position.

Are there flue extension kits available for gas water heaters, so I can divert the fumes away from the kitchen window?
Screw the window shut, you won't get any flue parts for an old water heater.

Yeh if the fumes are coming back into house isn't it and ID situation?? Replacement required?

Ok. Sorry to point out what may not be to obvious

The OP is not allowed in the GSR forum. It was moved here by the mods

Also screwing the window shut is illegal

Yeh if the fumes are coming back into house isn't it and ID situation?? Replacement required?
You'll probably find it was fitted about 20 years ago by BG, to close to window, but if you complain to GS thy tell you its NCS, come across loads of them in Plymouth area.

You'll probably find it was fitted about 20 years ago by BG, to close to window, but if you complain to GS thy tell you its NCS, come across loads of them in Plymouth area.

Products of combustion entering building is defo ID GIUSP 4.2 and its a riddor! Get GS to read own documents.

Had same BG installed celcia with a snorkel opposed to a vertical flue under a bathroom window adjacent to groundfloor velux . Feel sorry for installer.... Only had a 15mm drill bit, had to step down to 15mm to get through wall. Gas run only 35 m ish. Expect bp and gas rate were fine for the 12 years BG serviced it?

Indeed? Where is that stated in the regs?

Just because there is a screw in the window does not stop the next tenant or occupier from unscrewing it

I'm sure there has been a test case over this

Indeed? Where is that stated in the regs?
It might not be stated, but I do recall someone getting a criminal record for doing so. Because it went **** up and some people got poisoned because of it. Down west country way.

down in sunny newquay in a hotel and he got 18 months or so poor sap when the owner reopened the window by the flue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well back to the old one rule for us and none for BG ! why do you think that is ? did I read something about POC entering a building have to be below 10ppm BS7967

Well back to the old one rule for us and none for BG ! why do you think that is ? did I read something about POC entering a building have to be below 10ppm BS7967

Prevailing conditions ect. Side note to GIUSP 4.2

BS 7967 part 2. This is for an assessment procedure for report of fumes. Not for just the poor location of a flue terminal.

Last edited:
BS 7967 part 2. This is for an assessment procedure for report of fumes. Not for just the poor location of a flue terminal.
But it is in place as a guide line its still about POC entering a building, we know that this post is about the location of this flue, So what happens then the guy is saying he has fumes coming in the window, you attend, POC are below the 10% guide line would you class it as ID or NTC, And what is the rule about screwing shut the window, would someone from GS give us the correct answer ! can it be done or not ? or will they not commit to a answer ? (Your the engineer on site you make the decision) When did this become illegal.

Once told to do a risk assessment, document what I found to justify my decision. I'm of the school if thought that if poc has been reported, flue is in wrong place and when I'm there flue products come near window it's an ID .

If another engineer wants his balls under the hammer he can reconnect!

Once told to do a risk assessment, document what I found to justify my decision. I'm of the school if thought that if poc has been reported, flue is in wrong place and when I'm there flue products come near window it's an ID .

If another engineer wants his balls under the hammer he can reconnect!
Yes I understand your opinion on this, all I am asking is, what does GS say about screwing the window shut, some one states it is illegal can we get some confirmation one way or another, as everyone interprets things differently. WILL GS EXCEPT A WINDOW BEING SCREWD SHUT ???

I think simply screwing it shut doesn't render it non opening, same as removing handle. Grip fill, screws and a silicone type seal would make the window un openable. But then this could be a problem if kitchen didn't have a door to outside for ventilation?

Yes I understand your opinion on this, all I am asking is, what does GS say about screwing the window shut, some one states it is illegal can we get some confirmation one way or another, as everyone interprets things differently. WILL GS EXCEPT A WINDOW BEING SCREWD SHUT ???

I think there is a little stubbornness here

If a window is openable it is illegal

Regardless of how you open that window. If it opens it opens

A screw may just be a very weird security device.

Like already said. If you want to leave a job in the situation and you want to be the one who is responsible for any death then by all means do

I can't see how reading a document will make it ok to turn a boiler off for this scenario just turn it off.

If you remove hinges and handles ? Surely it's then a non openable window?? I wouldn't bother as disconnecting is easier. ( just being devils advocate)

If you remove hinges and handles ? Surely it's then a non openable window?? I wouldn't bother as disconnecting is easier. ( just being devils advocate)

It can easily be repaired by someone who knows nothing of gas

I think simply screwing it shut doesn't render it non opening, same as removing handle. Grip fill, screws and a silicone type seal would make the window un openable. But then this could be a problem if kitchen didn't have a door to outside for ventilation?[/QUOTE
What about a window other than kitchen, Why cant we get a definite answer does anyone know ? usually someone on here rattling off the rules and quoting BS numbers answer please ! because screwing windows has been done for years.

But you are back to, it was fitted & been serviced by BG for the last 20 years, why now is it ID , customer is well P***d off, :furious3: engineer gets punch in face, :90: What are the written rules on screwing shut windows ???

There are non that I know of in 5440. The building regs may have something for ventilation in habitable rooms bit?

I would ID and leave. If custard won't let u ID call transco.

Punch in face = assault call police.

Openable I surmises that openable means readily openable with items close to hand or

There are non that I know of in 5440. The building regs may have something for ventilation in habitable rooms bit?

I would ID and leave. If custard won't let u ID call transco.

Punch in face = assault call police.

Openable I surmises that openable means readily openable with items close to hand or

Openable I suppose would have hinges

What pray would a sash window need doing to it to render it non opening? (Excludes 2000 coats of badly applied gloss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to balanced flue for gas water heater. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock