Discuss Am I too old for a career as a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

realitybites

I am now 46, pushing 47, do you think I'd be wise to try and see my later years out doing something that will definitely pay more than I'm doing now, with the kudos of being a skilled worker. Looking at NVQ2 hopefully leading on to more.... this of course assumes I miss the proverbial bus hitting me and other eventualities

If you have to ask i think you already know the answer, could you climb in and out of lofts and crawl around under floors no meither?

I took early retirement from my desk job in industry at age 60, by which time I'd spent about 3 years doing evening classes (on the quiet) to get my NVQ2 and then finally my NVQ3. I then immediately became a sole trader and am still enjoying my 1-man-band plumbing career in the 'evening of my life' - as they say!

It's been 7 years now (I'm 68 later this year) and I'll keep going as long as it's still fun and I can still double up under a kitchen sink. Money for old rope as far as I'm concerned, and you get to meet a wide cross-section of people - some of them really nice.

So I suppose I'm answering your question with a 'yes' - go for it! The only thing to remember is that initially the money's not going to be that good, because it takes a while to build up a decent customer base - and also your plumbing skills and tool collection. Eventually you hardly need to advertise - you get a lot of jobs via referrals and recommendations.

In my case I had a small pension to help out plus some wifely income, and also could live quite cheaply (kids moved on), but I do realise this may not apply to you.

Last edited:
If you have to ask i think you already know the answer, could you climb in and out of lofts and crawl around under floors no meither?

obviously bradd the rad cant cope with his workload as a youngster:rolleyes:, what he forgets is that years of experience teach us how to do things simply and quietly whilst achieving the aim:). Go for it, I did the same at 45 and at 50 I am now working with gas and enjoying the benefits. Our youngster must think that plumbers suddenly dematerialise at 45, doesnt he realise we employ young fools to climb in and out of lofts and crawl under floors, at least thats what I do:D

no your past it - you'll get laughed out of the merchants, whilst all of us are playing with our new high tech phones, your legs wont get you up a ladder, your back wont bend enough to get under a sink, and them shaky hands wont allow you to solder.....

your as old as you feel me old pal..... go for it -do what makes you happy your only here once!

Thanks for all the positive replies, makes my mind up for me. Would eventually like to get into gas as it appears to be the ultimate pinnacle so to speak (probably wrong but just going by what I've read).

Hello m8 im 38 and im lookin to go down the same route i would do it if i was fifty so do wot u feel is within ur capability.

Must be a particularly energetic day for me today as I'm feeling pretty positive. Have been threatening to go this route for a good while and having read the posts on here I think the time is probably right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I too old for a career as a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

F
  • Question
Hi
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
J
Replies
Views
fuzzy