Discuss Am I too old for a career as a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

realitybites

I am now 46, pushing 47, do you think I'd be wise to try and see my later years out doing something that will definitely pay more than I'm doing now, with the kudos of being a skilled worker. Looking at NVQ2 hopefully leading on to more.... this of course assumes I miss the proverbial bus hitting me and other eventualities

If you have to ask i think you already know the answer, could you climb in and out of lofts and crawl around under floors no meither?

I took early retirement from my desk job in industry at age 60, by which time I'd spent about 3 years doing evening classes (on the quiet) to get my NVQ2 and then finally my NVQ3. I then immediately became a sole trader and am still enjoying my 1-man-band plumbing career in the 'evening of my life' - as they say!

It's been 7 years now (I'm 68 later this year) and I'll keep going as long as it's still fun and I can still double up under a kitchen sink. Money for old rope as far as I'm concerned, and you get to meet a wide cross-section of people - some of them really nice.

So I suppose I'm answering your question with a 'yes' - go for it! The only thing to remember is that initially the money's not going to be that good, because it takes a while to build up a decent customer base - and also your plumbing skills and tool collection. Eventually you hardly need to advertise - you get a lot of jobs via referrals and recommendations.

In my case I had a small pension to help out plus some wifely income, and also could live quite cheaply (kids moved on), but I do realise this may not apply to you.

Last edited:
If you have to ask i think you already know the answer, could you climb in and out of lofts and crawl around under floors no meither?

obviously bradd the rad cant cope with his workload as a youngster:rolleyes:, what he forgets is that years of experience teach us how to do things simply and quietly whilst achieving the aim:). Go for it, I did the same at 45 and at 50 I am now working with gas and enjoying the benefits. Our youngster must think that plumbers suddenly dematerialise at 45, doesnt he realise we employ young fools to climb in and out of lofts and crawl under floors, at least thats what I do:D

no your past it - you'll get laughed out of the merchants, whilst all of us are playing with our new high tech phones, your legs wont get you up a ladder, your back wont bend enough to get under a sink, and them shaky hands wont allow you to solder.....

your as old as you feel me old pal..... go for it -do what makes you happy your only here once!

Thanks for all the positive replies, makes my mind up for me. Would eventually like to get into gas as it appears to be the ultimate pinnacle so to speak (probably wrong but just going by what I've read).

Hello m8 im 38 and im lookin to go down the same route i would do it if i was fifty so do wot u feel is within ur capability.

Must be a particularly energetic day for me today as I'm feeling pretty positive. Have been threatening to go this route for a good while and having read the posts on here I think the time is probably right.

Why plumbing? have you thought about being an electrician?:).

For me, age doesn't matter, as long as you can perform the job well and that's what matter most..

im 36 and i feel too old. please be a plumber so i can have your desk job

Why plumbing? have you thought about being an electrician?:).

Did think about Electrician but the variety of work compared to a plumber put me off. Hopefully as a plumber you have more options as far as work goes, open to you.

Is that just a case of the grass seems greener ;)

dont fink so, its generally a clearner job, not as heavy, seem to get more respect, more elecs get the supervisor roles etc

if i had my time again i think id go for elec

I do both and would not say either is easier or cleaner, work is work to me and the more you can do equals the more you can earn. Electrical is a doddle if you have the knowledge plumbing is where the skill is - mo

thing is about plumbing.
people will stick there finger in a leaking pipe but not in a socket.

turn a blind eye to a dangerous boiler.
but are scared stiff to touch an electric cable.

had an old guy call me. no water from shower. the fuse / rcd had tripped (he knocked it whilst in cupboard) called me to re-set it, whouldnt touch it himself.

id prefer electrical as a job

With all these replies maybe consider renaming the site ukEXplumbersforum

Seriously though, are you really that convinced that Electrical work is the way to go? I am working as a postman at the moment, I have worked as a digital cable tech, an audio video tech, installing projectors, plasmas, calibrating them and installing sound systems, pc engineer, the list goes on and the best job for me so far is as a postman :confused: Electrician would seem the natural progression for me and I am too long in the tooth to get it wrong, so if you are being serious....

Last edited by a moderator:
With all these replies maybe consider renaming the site ukEXplumbersforum

Seriously though, are you really that convinced that Electrical work is the way to go? I am working as a postman at the moment, I have worked as a digital cable tech, an audio video tech, installing projectors, plasmas, calibrating them and installing sound systems, pc engineer, the list goes on and the best job for me so far is as a postman :confused: Electrician would seem the natural progression for me and I am too long in the tooth to get it wrong, so if you are being serious....
i'm being serious m8,
cant touch electrics for customer unless qualified, unlike plumbing. so less comp.
look at part p defined.
i will be doing the part p myself soon will give me a little extra work.

Never too old (all in the head) . Wasn't Noah about 800 when he built the ark???LOL

Being a sparks sounds like the ideal route for you Realitybites.

Being a sparks sounds like the ideal route for you Realitybites.

I think you may be right, I was caught up in all the hype surrounding plumbing, license to print money and all that. Have to start over and see what options are out there, now where was that electricians forum...

i did my full part p a few years ago

i wouldnt trust myself to wire a plug!!!

how long did it take fuzz?.
i have 2 years in electrical but no quallys, classed as 'improver'.

i did a one week course 8.30am - 7pm and then went back for assessments. I enjoyed it, alot of hard work but gor through. prob is i havnt done any of it since so would probably need to do the training again. i got my cert though, maybe ill just go out and practice on peoples houses and stuff:rolleyes:

Never too old to do what you want to do - however you need to be passionate about your intended move as then it does not seem like work more enjoyment

Never too old to do what you want to do - however you need to be passionate about your intended move as then it does not seem like work more enjoyment

this is an excellent comment, i work in a college and meet plenty people who are joining the trade "just" to make money, of course we need to earn, and so we should, but it cant be just about money, you have to enjoy it to input the effort to succeed, but too many people are getting their heads turned about being able to earn £40-50k per year, it wont happen for many many years, but if you are interested in joining an honest hard working trade and making the most of it whilst looking after your customers go for it, work hard and fair, be concientious and hopefully all will be well

Totally agree with above - think the main thing as stated is to build up a reputation for being a good worker for a good price - value for work

Theres always a cost though, if your willing to pay out 3/4/ or even 5 k then go for it

the 6129 is not classed as a full qual

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I too old for a career as a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock