Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice on shower pump replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ianbeag

I recently had a replacement double shower pump fitted to replace one which had worked flawlessly for about 12 years. The plumber recommended a make which I had not heard of - Aura twin impeller 2.0bar unit. When either shower is operated the noise level from this unit is the equivalent of a passenger jet at take-off and cannot be used when any of the surrounding bedrooms are occupied. I am now ready to remove and replace the unit and my question to your knowledgeable experts is:- What alternative unit can you recommend to operate two showers but does not disrupt the peace of an entire household? Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Before replacement, suggest you ask the pump manufacturer if it is normal for such noise levels to be produced. If not, you might have an installation problem??

Cello Thanks for responding. I though that it would be a simple matter to install a replacement unit for one which was previously trouble free and relatively quiet. I had suggested a Grundfos pump but the plumber fitted this one instead. It would be helpful to have some suggestions from experienced professionals for a reliable pump that is reasonably quiet in operation.

Stuart Turner can't go wrong. Might be installation problem, air, no flange fitted on cylinder etc. Check all valves in and out of pump are open

The make of the pump is probably less important than the type of pump.

If you want to keep the noise down, you need a centrifugal pump, NOT a regenerative pump.

The latter are cheaper to make, and are often more forgiving of sub-optimal installs, but the stripping block on a regenerative pump is what gives it that whining, jet turbine noise.

Try a centrifugal pump, for example the Salamander RSP range (but not the CT range).

Thank you Ray & Neil for taking the trouble to respond. I was not aware of the two concepts of centrifugal and regenerative operations and that will help to build up useful bank of information before making the choice of replacement pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on shower pump replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions...
Replies
Views
We need an urgent advice, we have a gravity water system and we are in a middle of loft conversion. We are adding an en-suit in loft and prefer to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Missus has decided to upgrade the shower to one with a rainfall head, and so naturally it's another job added to the list for me I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a Heatmiser UFH installation, 7-8 years old now. This week we noticed that a few of our heating zones were not warming up, even...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock