Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on refitting shower trap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks. I thought I would be smart and remove the top part of the shower trap (I'm assuming it's called that) in order to give it a clean.

In taking the top part of, most of the sealant below came off with it. I put a bit of kitchen towel inside the trap to soak up some of the water and it dropped down further towards the floor below the tray. I barely touched the trap but now I'm worried I've messed something up as there's a bit of give in the trap. You'll notice the black seal. I expected this to be sitting flush and tight with the underside of the tray. Is it normal to be like this?

When I tried to reconnect the top part of the trap, it kept moving on me and I'm worried it's not connected properly - certainly not water tight. I know I'll probably have to seal it too but not even sure where to seal it and what sealant to use.

sorry for rambling on - We had a leak from the precious tray and ended up with a long weekend of sealing and repainting the ceiling below so I wanted to double check this with a professional. Plumbing scares the life out of me. More so than the wife - who will definitely be gunning for me if there's another leak. Thank you for any help. It would be much appreciated.

Top part of the trap that I unscrewed:

PXL_20201115_121403412.jpg

Trap with top part removed:

PXL_20201115_121535313.jpg

Videos showing movement of trap below:

Dry off the top part of the tray, and the underside of the top part of trap. Position the thread and trying not to move the rubber seal attempt to screw threaded part of topper into lower half of trap. Once you feel this starting to come together, apply a neutral cure silicone sealant to tray where it connects, and carry on tightening. Once satisfied, wipe off excess sealant with a damp cloth.

Dry off the top part of the tray, and the underside of the top part of trap. Position the thread and trying not to move the rubber seal attempt to screw threaded part of topper into lower half of trap. Once you feel this starting to come together, apply a neutral cure silicone sealant to tray where it connects, and carry on tightening. Once satisfied, wipe off excess sealant with a damp cloth.

Thank you m8. I appreciate that. I'm going to take a run out and get some plumbers gold. Getting the seal to line up might be tricky enough but I'll give it a shot.

Reply to Advice on refitting shower trap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
I have a leak from my shower, it's coming down into my kitchen. I've had the sealant, waste pipe and tray all checked. I've also had the shower controls checked. Weird thing is the shower leak only happens when there's weight on the shower tray. The shower tray doesn't flex in any way, which is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
just put a new pop up waste into my basin to find the trap does not fit correctly.. the trap fits just inside the waste thread opening and butts up against the plastic shoulder ensuring the rubber seal is pressed against the end Face of the waste. im able to screw the nut up but even when its...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have just installed a pop up waste on new basin. I have siliconed the top with the washer, and the water holds inside the basin with the waste closed but when I pop it up to release the water down the drain it leaks out from the underside of the sink where the backnut nut washer are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock