Search the forum,

Discuss Confusing leak, trying to find the source! pls help if you can in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a leak from my shower, it's coming down into my kitchen. I've had the sealant, waste pipe and tray all checked. I've also had the shower controls checked. Weird thing is the shower leak only happens when there's weight on the shower tray. The shower tray doesn't flex in any way, which is odd. I wonder whether there's a pipe under the tray that only leaks when I'm standing on it; the tray is raised off the floor. I've also tried pouring buckets of water in the shower when I'm standing on the tray, but this doesn't work. The leak only happens when the shower is on and I'm standing in the tray. West Mids. thanks

Have you checked if the tray to wall sealant is pulling away when there is weight on the tray?

Could be the waste pipe or trap moving slightly with weight on.

Are there any cracks in the tray?

Can you get under the tray or is all sealed up, if so maybe a cheap Borescope inspection camera and drill a small hole to gain access?

Have you checked if the tray to wall sealant is pulling away when there is weight on the tray?

Could be the waste pipe or trap moving slightly with weight on.

Are there any cracks in the tray?

Can you get under the tray or is all sealed up, if so maybe a cheap Borescope inspection camera and drill a small hole to gain access?
Thank you, there are no cracks in the tray, it's quite robust and in good condition. It's fairly new, bought it and had it installed about 2 years ago. I have stood on the tray, without the shower running, and poured buckets of water around and nothing happens - no leak. So I've ruled out the sealant / tray / waste pipe / trap because I guess the leak would still occur with me putting lots of water around the tray - it only happens when I'm standing on the tray and the shower is running. If the shower is running on it's own it doesn't happen. Perhaps I do need a borescope inspection!

I would say sealant if it’s only when you stand in the tray remove the old and re do with some sand bags on the tray to add weight

thanks for the reply, I did remove and reseal, put way too much on because I wanted to eliminate that possibility

Did you do where the screen meets the tray ?

yes - quite extensively - I think I've ruled that out

Does it leak pretty fast when you in the shower eg start shower eg in and min later leaks ?

Might be worth putting weight in the tray and slowly move the hand held around the tray eg move the water every 5 mins in 1 foot increments

Reply to Confusing leak, trying to find the source! pls help if you can in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock