Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice on refitting shower trap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks. I thought I would be smart and remove the top part of the shower trap (I'm assuming it's called that) in order to give it a clean.

In taking the top part of, most of the sealant below came off with it. I put a bit of kitchen towel inside the trap to soak up some of the water and it dropped down further towards the floor below the tray. I barely touched the trap but now I'm worried I've messed something up as there's a bit of give in the trap. You'll notice the black seal. I expected this to be sitting flush and tight with the underside of the tray. Is it normal to be like this?

When I tried to reconnect the top part of the trap, it kept moving on me and I'm worried it's not connected properly - certainly not water tight. I know I'll probably have to seal it too but not even sure where to seal it and what sealant to use.

sorry for rambling on - We had a leak from the precious tray and ended up with a long weekend of sealing and repainting the ceiling below so I wanted to double check this with a professional. Plumbing scares the life out of me. More so than the wife - who will definitely be gunning for me if there's another leak. Thank you for any help. It would be much appreciated.

Top part of the trap that I unscrewed:

PXL_20201115_121403412.jpg

Trap with top part removed:

PXL_20201115_121535313.jpg

Videos showing movement of trap below:

Dry off the top part of the tray, and the underside of the top part of trap. Position the thread and trying not to move the rubber seal attempt to screw threaded part of topper into lower half of trap. Once you feel this starting to come together, apply a neutral cure silicone sealant to tray where it connects, and carry on tightening. Once satisfied, wipe off excess sealant with a damp cloth.

Dry off the top part of the tray, and the underside of the top part of trap. Position the thread and trying not to move the rubber seal attempt to screw threaded part of topper into lower half of trap. Once you feel this starting to come together, apply a neutral cure silicone sealant to tray where it connects, and carry on tightening. Once satisfied, wipe off excess sealant with a damp cloth.

Thank you m8. I appreciate that. I'm going to take a run out and get some plumbers gold. Getting the seal to line up might be tricky enough but I'll give it a shot.

Reply to Advice on refitting shower trap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock