Search the forum,

Discuss 7 weeks, 2 plumbers and still no heating... Someone please help.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Wright

Hi,

I am posting a message to this forum in desperation.
My family and i have been experiencing problems with a boiler that is in our flat.
I myself am having chemotherapy at the moment and i have a 4 year old daughter.
We are both in need of a central heating system that works and does not need resetting all the time.

The boiler we have is a Main Combi 24 HE

We are now on our second plumber as the first plumber did not respond to our calls after his 4th visit.
Initially we called a plumber because the boiler "flame failure" light kept coming on and the "burner on" light kept flashing.
To be honest i can't remember what the plumber did the first time to the system as i thought it was going to be repaired on the first visit.
We are now at the end of week 7.
He did say the system was full of dirty water and that it needed an inhibitor.
The water was brown/orange which i was told was corrosion from inside the pipes.
An inhibitor was added to protect the system. (A powerflush was not done which i later found out needed doing)
The system continued to drop in pressure and not perform as expected.
He came back again adjusted a valve and showed me what to adjust should it happen again.
The problem persisted so he came back again and changed a pressure vessel
This did not resolve the problem

A 2nd plumber was called and we are now again on the 4th visit

This plumber did a full power flush which took him all day and i can say that the heating has never been so good and that the pressure has not dropped once since this power flush
However the systems "flame failure" light still comes on after approximately 90 mins until reset (depending on what temperature the external boiler stat control is set at)
An overheat thermostat kit has also been replaced on another visit.
A Check to make sure the condensate pipe was not blocked (blew throught it) was also done. (this was technical support at potterton's idea)
The condensate trap within the boiler itself was emptied...

The 2nd plumber has been on the phone with Potterton twice with technical support but still no closer to resolving this.

So a quick summary:

After 90 mins the flame failure light comes on dependant on temp settings, if the temp is set high is goes off quicker and if it is set lower it stays on longer
It does regulate itself but it seems it is going off once it gets to hot.
The heating will come back on if reset but will go off again shortly after.
If left for a period of time it will stay on longer once reset (because it has cooled down)
It's as if a safety feature is reaching temperature and then cutting the flame out, waiting for the system to cool down
and then the safety feature resets itself...

The landlady has kindly provided 2 x 2KW heaters but they are going to cost a fortune to run...

I am on the verge of stopping all rent payments as this is now beyond a joke, there cannot be much else left to change inside this boiler?
The 2nd engineer says we need a new boiler and that he won't be happy if he is not paid by the landlady (he is self employed)
He says if the landlady gets another engineer in and she has a new boiler fitted and he doesn't do it then i am to make sure all my doors
and windows are shut because he will be round lol cheeky git. He was right miserable and my daughter started calling him mr grumpy! haha

In all seriousness can anyone suggest any solutions? The only thing left to change is the control pcb, which when i suggested he said would not resolve it.

sounds more like the nct is failing gradually, replace with a new one for about £8 from a plumber test the reistance of the one present on the heating circuit to see its working correctly, should have been done on the first visit.

I'll get a new one tomorrow and test the resistance of the new sensor and compare it with the existing one... I think this has also been done on a previous visit...

I think you should contact a different plumbing company, explain the situation to them first, before you get them to check anything. If they understand what's going on or might know the problem get them to check it out, let them explain to you exactly what's going on what needs to be done etc. If you find that they know what their talking about and it makes sense to you, get them to do the job. If you find that you've already wasted money on having to get plumbing experts to come in check it out, try purchasing a nct & go from there.

Dont stop rent payments, as that would put you in breach of contract - however you caan contact your local council housing department. There should be a division 'enviromental saftey' or the like which will inspect your property, and send an offical demand to your landlord demanding remedial works be carried out, if they find the property 'unfit for healthy and safe living'. ( which they will if you have no heating!!!)

Good luck!

I'll get a new one tomorrow and test the resistance of the new sensor and compare it with the existing one... I think this has also been done on a previous visit...

Hope you get it sorted best of luck with chemo

dont know why the plumbers cant sort this out its only a simple boiler for my colleagues who dont know the main 24he its a baxi 80 eco he,to me this sounds like a pcb or air pressure switch or ntc problem i have also had gas valves go faulty on this boiler on one that was doing this and should have a working pressure of 10.2 mb it was running at 19mb!! and could not be adjusted if you cant find someone who can fix it have you thought of going direct to baxi? they will repair it but not sure what they charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 7 weeks, 2 plumbers and still no heating... Someone please help.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock