Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester system boiler on 1 pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

so-solar

Customer has contacted me to quote for ripping out open vent system and boiler and replace with 18i worcester and a megaflo, The only issue is she wants me to keep the 1 pipe system that is already installed as she has just revamped the whole house, the system has 10 rads and is still up and running!

Where do i stand with current regulations on this matter?

Has anybody pressurised a 1 pipe system in this way?

Used to do it a lot with warmfront jobs. They worked but obviously not as efficient as converting it to 2 pipe.

I was on an OFTEC course with Worcester recently and they mentioned that their oil boilers didn't like one pipe systems as the return temperature was too low and damages the main heat exchangers. Not sure if it is the same with gas, but perhaps the reason Worcester won't honour the warranty.

Phone worcester and ask them, I haven't heard that. Would be a bit strange as there are still quite a few 1 pipe systems about.
it will work but as said is less efficient.
If it is the case that worcester say no you could fit a intergas.

A one pipe system return would be hotter not cooler surely?

It will work, the boiler will cycle more so it maybe worth fitting a lower rated kw boiler so it stays on longer

So which bit of the first post didn't you understand? The customer doesn't want the disruption of ripping it all out. A modern boiler will work on a one pipe system, it will be more efficient than an old boiler but not work as well as one on a two pipe system.

My main concern would be how well the system can be cleaned, Im sure that is Worcesters main concern.

I suggest all the rads off the wall to clean after using chemicals in the system for a few days.

Cantvreally see why the return temps would bother the boiler heat exchanger, does anybody actually achieve 20 degrees diff when doing any boiler exchange ?

Should have also mentioned I do chuckle, sometimes even a little wee! When reading some of the benchmark documents when servicing boilers, amazing how accurate some installations are compared to the data badge.

Just wish they looked at the condense pipe requirements/ flue / gas supply requirements as well!

It's amazing how a year after the installation the inlet pressure at the boiler can drop to 15 mbar from the 20 stated on the benchmark document.

A guy I worked with on a couple of occasions used to fill in the benchmark before he started to save forgetting at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester system boiler on 1 pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better...
Replies
Views
I am looking into a new Main eco compact / Baxi 618 system boiler set up for PDHW (if its possible) I was hoping to use the EPH controls priority...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock