Search the forum,

Discuss when the customers ask for discount in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sasik

How much discount would you give when the customer ask: " [FONT=&quot]Is there any discount for a cash payment?[/FONT]

All depends on the job really, but being most of my work is gas related i dont change prices whatever the payment is because its all booked in correctly and guaranteed for 12 months..

I think this subject depends on alot of things but mainly the work and your individual generosity.. :D

The work in question is a bathroom swap and tiling over. I never give this option to my customers because it look very unprofessional. but when the customer ask you it is a bit different. You want to keep your customer happy and you don't want to be out off pocket either.

When people ask to pay cash they assume it's going to be cheaper , they can pay by any form they want but the price is still the same

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an old lady the other day who tipped me ÂŁ6.25 when writing out her cheque for a small job. Seemed random.

It was only back in the van I worked out she had tipped me a fiver minus the 20% tax. Because obviously if she had tipped me in cash she wouldn't have to add extra because - for the tenth time running, what are the chances? - it would have blown straight out of my hand as I walked out of the door and straight into the door of the nearest off-license.

i say, you have it discounted cos i thought it was for cash if you wanna pay by cheque it will be more to cover the bank charges usually the carnt pay you quick enough

anyway discount for a tradesman with all the overheads we have,what a cheek anyone would think were stall holders

if they ask before the work it is up to you, but after completing work i wouldn't do any discount. there is an agreement between customer and engineer, and i like to stick to that agreement.

i would give discount to people aged 75 and over but only if accompanied by both parents

I had a strange encounter with an old lady on Wednesday from my village, on the way home I dropped in to look at a dripping tap. Ceramic disc kitchen mixertap, I won't discuss prices on here because it leads to too much debate but lets just say I was in a good mood and gave her a woping discount to which any sane old lady would have snapped my hand off.

I thought I was there to do the job but all she wanted was a quote! She said "I hope you wont be offended but I'd like a second opinion!" I could have had it working in five minutes.

Some other guy turned up just after me and she rang me that evening to say he's done it, she was very nice and everything but what a bizzare experience?

You should be including A.B.E. in your estimate anyway, this will cover any discount they might want, which will make you look good knocking some off but in reality you wont be knocking any off :)

(quote Phil )I had a strange encounter with an old lady on Wednesday from my village, on the way home I dropped in to look at a dripping tap. Ceramic disc kitchen mixertap, I won't discuss prices on here because it leads to too much debate but lets just say I was in a good mood and gave her a woping discount to which any sane old lady would have snapped my hand off.

its called a timewaster

i dont offer discounts, my prices are the right price, no discounts im afraid

cheque?. no problem, so thats +20%!!!!.
cash, yup thats -20% off then?.

yeah you can get it 50p cheaper because thats what my bank charges me for cashing a cheque lol

discount for cash? Nope, cash is more bother than its worth in my experience, i got ÂŁ500 cash the other day, before I know it, I spent ÂŁ100 on fuel for the van, ÂŁ10 for lunch, ÂŁ40 in screwfux (not a typo btw) and loads more other purchases.. I either need a strongbox in the van that I cant open or pay me cheque/card/bank transfer otherwise it gets frittered away.

ÂŁ10 lunch? ooh someones doing well!

I know what you mean, I prefer cheques myself for that reason.

discount for cash = i think you are a tax dodging *insert swear word* and id like to benifit from it.

ask the customer if they got their salary in cash would they accept a 10-15% off from their bosses

yeah you can get it 50p cheaper because that's what my bank charges me for cashing a cheque lol
Most banks charge 25p - 75p per ÂŁ100 for cashed cheques on business accounts. Who you banking with?

Last edited:
it was a joke, i have free banking at the moment so dont know how much they charge

its like the one "ave got a leak on my washing machine tap can you come and have a look" first thing they ask is how much will it be" dont no till i look at it someone else as quoted me ÂŁ40 so why you asking me then for that price by the way there not in till after 6.30 "so you want me to come out after 6.30 to look at a tap the you already had a cheap quote on ,use my petrol just for you to say ,no its to dear i say " would you go into work for a few hours for nothing, usually its no to me its just the same as asking for discount where they want it cheaper but wouldnt have less wages themselfs

I always say it doesn't matter as it all goes through the books. It always offends me as it sounds like they're assuming I'm a desperate tax dodger with no ambition.
Sometimes when people try to knock my price down I explain that it is a growing business with more overheads than a one man band.
A few times I havn't been able to resist a little rant about how I pay ÂŁ250 a month advertising, 250 a month pension, 1500 in direct debits and thousands to be qualified, 28% tax, I need the credit rating for a mortgage and business loans so I couldn't survive if I quoted for much less. That's when some people have suggested I should only charge 100 quid a day.

When I get asked I point out that as a sole trader under the vat threshhold, I don't charge vat, and it all goes though the books and into the bank so cash or cheque is equally fine.

I always say to the customer that everything goes through the books, so no.

I was called to change a shower in a brothel one day and after complition the lady on the desk said do u want cash or 1 hr in the jucuzzi with lindsy 6ft 4 blond with ptfe as a g string. Amazing she was plus i got to test the triton t80z shower. Hope i get called back to service the boiler.

I was called to change a shower in a brothel one day and after complition the lady on the desk said do u want cash or 1 hr in the jucuzzi with lindsy 6ft 4 blond with ptfe as a g string. Amazing she was plus i got to test the triton t80z shower. Hope i get called back to service the boiler.
Bet the ptfe was pretty well useless afterwards!

lol do you want cash or an hour with lindsy and a dose of the clap :p lol just kidding, i would of chosen the second option also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to when the customers ask for discount in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock