Discuss What is with the Gas engineers of late in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkAqua

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Been to roughly 7-8 service jobs this week, commercial (over 70Kw) and domestic ones. There has not
been one job that I have not either had to flag up something wrong or condem the whole install.

Ranging from a exploding Hamworthy(see last post) that the idiot "engineers" had left all 3 flue modules semi detached from the boiler. semi detached in the meaning that the nuts and bolts were in but not tighted AT ALL, ones of the modules you could fit your first in the gap from the flue to the boiler.

Another one where it had clearly never been stripped down past the heat exchanger as when i took the front of the burner off the insulation just fell on the floor in a pile of dust.

The next had a vent into the building about 150mm away from the flue.

others were just small like no ventillation to the gas meter Etc.

What is going on? Why are people not picking up on these SMALL things?

I can only put it down to price work and complete I dont give a monkies attitude. I could not sleep at night. I really couldn't.

I find a lot of NCS faults with installs and the occasional AR. Not many IDs and those that are are mainly down to lack of service by customers.

All my work is landlord/commercial so lack of their behalf is not true. They get the people in to "service" it but they are just not doing it properly.

All my work is landlord/commercial so lack of their behalf is not true. They get the people in to "service" it but they are just not doing it properly.

As you said earlier its down to price work, corners are cut to make the job fit the money!

i made a comment on another post about quality of servicing about some boilers being wrecked just getting cover off (if cover comes off).
i reckon 30% of my boiler upgrades are from engineers wrecking boilers trying to get parts out .

lack of proper training

bang on imo. Too many poor engineers about with very little training and experience. Not there fault i guess, fast short easy training and employers wanting to pay less and less and not put people through 4,5 years of training before allowing them out on there own.

Look at meter fitting, alot if its now done by sparkys.

I think it's because the trade as we knew it is dead, so few real apprentices serving their time starting at very low money to get a good grounding in a trade or business that should serve them for life.

Today we have courses that claim to turn out "Heating Engineers" able to service a gas or oil boiler, we know it's not possible because it is very important to know how both the system and the boiler works, a basic service on a boiler has so much responsibility attached to it there is nobody I know who can understand how anyone can advertise a gas boiler service for under €50-00.

No pride in the job they are doing, even less regard for the customers safety and why should they when all they contribute is a course fee and a few days of their time?

The trade has been broken up into little pieces to accommodate the courses, what they appear to lack is a basic understanding of what they are supposed to do when servicing a boiler, nobody appears to be hammering home the necessity to use their power of observation and the need to check every part of the system as part of the service.

I think it's because the trade as we knew it is dead, so few real apprentices serving their time starting at very low money to get a good grounding in a trade or business that should serve them for life.

Today we have courses that claim to turn out "Heating Engineers" able to service a gas or oil boiler, we know it's not possible because it is very important to know how both the system and the boiler works, a basic service on a boiler has so much responsibility attached to it there is nobody I know who can understand how anyone can advertise a gas boiler service for under €50-00.

No pride in the job they are doing, even less regard for the customers safety and why should they when all they contribute is a course fee and a few days of their time?

The trade has been broken up into little pieces to accommodate the courses, what they appear to lack is a basic understanding of what they are supposed to do when servicing a boiler, nobody appears to be hammering home the necessity to use their power of observation and the need to check every part of the system as part of the service.

You mean you can't just stick a glue gas analyser in it and if its below .008 it's all good

Went to a service today where an extension had been added on the side of the building, alpha combi flue extended all ok. Until i find the external meter is now an internal meter with a plastic supply. I inform the customer its wrong and needs moving and he gets the hump with me! Why did building control pass it and who should of told him he says. All i can say is that who ever extended the flue should of known the meter was now wrong and sorry im trying to keep you safe!!

Until i find the external meter is now an internal meter with a plastic supply. I inform the customer its wrong and needs moving and he gets the hump with me! Why did building control pass it and who should of told him he says.

It is an AR but it is also a RIDDOR. Go online and fill out the form and report it. Someone WILL get back to him.

It is an AR but it is also a RIDDOR. Go online and fill out the form and report it. Someone WILL get back to him.
maybe i find the HSE understaffed and cant follow up riddors

They will eventually when they have time to break off from investigating trips and falls or paper cuts :lol:

You mean you can't just stick a glue gas analyser in it and if its below .008 it's all good

Dublin area service total time from in the door to back out on his way took 9 minutes.

I went to A Vokera after it was serviced (which took 12 minutes) because the system was noisy, pressure on the front of the boiler reading 2 bar when cold, I released the pressure back to about .65 and the problem disappeared, the customer couldn't believe she had a quiet heating system problem had been ongoing for two years, each service she told the engineer, reply was we don't do anything with the plumbing.

Appears they only know how to use the FGA or maybe they see their job as remove the cover, look like you know something re-fit the cover and get on to the next job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is with the Gas engineers of late in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently had an IC Economiser Combi 35 installed with piping upgraded from 15mm to 22mm. A different engineer (ie not the one who installed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock