Search the forum,

Discuss Water hammer after combi boiler installed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new here and would greatly appreciate some advice. We recently had a combi boiler system put in our late 1960s semi - We used to have a gravity system with conventional boiler that was sited in the kitchen on the ground floor but the new combi boiler is now upstairs in the airing cupboard where the old immersion tank used to be and is adjacent to the bathroom. The new installation uses our old rads and a new rad with some new pipework.

We have quarter turn mixer taps on the kitchen sink downstairs and on the bath and bathroom wash hand basin upstairs. Since the installation, all taps - both hot and cold - clunk when we turn the taps off (and sometimes they clunk when they are turned on but to a much lesser extent, except for the hot tap on the kitchen sink which clunks more when turned off than when it is turned on). When the taps on the kitchen sink downstairs clunk shut it causes water hammer and reverberation in the toilet cistern upstairs. When the toilet is flushed and the cistern fills up it clunks shut and causes reverberation in the toilet cistern and water hammer. When any of the bathroom taps - both wash hand basin and bath, hot and cold - are turned off some water comes out of the instant shower situated over the bath and to a lesser extent some water comes out of the shower when the cold tap, but not the hot is turned off on the kitchen sink. We are guessing this is to do with the water pressure.

We called out the installers who told us that everything was down to water pressure and that we should turn down the main stop tap. They are refusing to do anything else even though that hasn't helped. We want to call another plumber out but are we right in thinking that this is going to be a process of trial and error? Where do we start? - With replacing the valve in the cistern with a Torbeck equalibrium valve or a Fluidmaster Quiet Float Valve (400UK074)? - We don't know as yet but we guess that current the valve in the cistern may not have had the restrictor inserted because the toilet was previously tank fed but is now mains fed. Would replacing the main stop tap help? - We read something about jumpers working loose in stop taps. And might a water hammer arrestor help and where should this be put? We don't know what our water pressure is, but could it be that we need to have a 'pressure reducing valve' put in near the main stop tap?

Many thanks for your advice.

you need a pressure reducing valve and an expansion vessel, call a proper plumber in :)

Your best bet is to put a shock arester valve in, like a little expansion vessel should stop all your water hammer

Sounds like the hot and cold are all piped in copper, adding a certain amount of plastic pipe will kill the water hammer. But in this case the small shock arrester wil do nicely.

Billee , where did you get plumbers from , telling you to turn mains down instead of fitting a pressure reducing valve, I would change main stopcock first , to a lever valve , if no good then fit a arrestor or P R V , maybe both ...

that's what i was thinking. it would probably do the same with a new one.

Many thanks for all the advice. Where would we need to site an arrestor? - bearing in mind that the water hammer is caused by using the kitchen hot and cold taps, all of the bathroom hot and cold taps and flushing the cistern in the bathroom..and use of the washing machine in the kitchen. Does this mean that an arrestor needs to be fitted to each of the supply pipes to each of these fittings? - as I notice that in the description of the arrestor it says that it needs to be installed close to the fitting.

Would it also be advisable to change the valve in the cistern to a Torbeck equalibrium valve or a Fluidmaster Quiet Float Valve (400UK074) as we're not sure, but we think that the valve that's in there might not have had the restrictor fitted in (as the cistern was previously tank fed, but is now mains pressure fed) - or would this just be a waste of time, do you think?

Last edited:
i would start by fitting one just after the stop tap and see if that works.

hi fit pressure reducing valve with gauge that will tell u pressure coming in to house then adjust to 2 bar and make sure mains valve is opened fully

Just to say that an expansion vessel was put on the cold water supply pipe leading into the combi boiler situated in our airing cupboard next to the bathroom. Anticipated that another expansion vessel and/or a pressure reducing valve might be needed too, but just the one expansion vessel has done the trick and sorted out the water hammer.

Thanks to all who advised me about this - You enabled me to be in a much better position in dealing with the installers of the combi boiler system coming back to sort things out and I am really grateful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water hammer after combi boiler installed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock