Discuss Vinegar in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyBongo

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
On a training day with Vaillant, the Vaillant guy told us you can use vinegar to clean the heat exchanger.... Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this or does it??

Vinegar is a very good cleaner for a multitude of things, heat exchangers included.

which vinegar?

the one with the eggs or onions?? think of the blockages :)

no seriously tho which?

we used to use coca cola for loosening off rusted cylinder head bolts, saw what it did to them, makes you wonder what your insides are like!

we used to use coca cola for loosening off rusted cylinder head bolts, saw what it did to them, makes you wonder what your insides are like!
Never touch it now, not after having to replace 100mm timesaver CI after 6 months taking the slops from the drinks towers in Mc D's, it's the sugars by all accounts goes through concrete just the same.

Never touch it now, not after having to replace 100mm timesaver CI after 6 months taking the slops from the drinks towers in Mc D's, it's the sugars by all accounts goes through concrete just the same.

Was it the rubber in the joints or the cast pipe itself?

No, no it was the cast iron just along the bottom where the water / slops runs, started as what looked like a rust spot, put your finger on it & it would go straight through oop's. Best one was, when it ate through the bottom of the CI chambers at Southend store.

i use white vinegar its pritty good
but needs time to work! im still trying to find a good product for removing sludge from plates!

I've left the filter for a Quooker tap to soak in a big jar of white vinegar over night. (For a Neighbour of mine).

Used vinegar as I knew they'd be drinking from it. Did the trick and eat the lime scale. Gave them another 12 months before I eventually changed the filter - which cost an eye watering ÂŁ70.

ive seen a lad that reconditions plate heat exchangers he dips the in a bucket of battery acid
all foams up leaves it in about 15 /20/mins and it comes out gleaming then cleans off with compressed air
dont fancy bringing a bucket of battery acid around in back of van though

ive seen a lad that reconditions plate heat exchangers he dips the in a bucket of battery acid
all foams up leaves it in about 15 /20/mins and it comes out gleaming then cleans off with compressed air
dont fancy bringing a bucket of battery acid around in back of van though

That would do it!!

Any acid will do the trick, vinegar is recommended because it's pretty cheap, easily available and non-toxic. Citric - you can buy the granules pretty easily - is another good choice.

Funny I was reading something about this the other day as we used to use vinegar to descale lightly scaled heat exchangers. It's also great for cleaning the scale out of those blocked shower roses very quickly and has impressed a couple of customers (cheap for them).

And for all you gas fitting golfers out there; when you buy a club with thoses stupid stickers that leave all the back on when you peel them off, WD40 takes those stickers off any material in about 20 seconds!

Sorry, I don't get out much..............

anyone used caustic soda? its ment to work but its really corrosive so im guessing a very good rinse is required if using it

It's a acid anyway. Just get your pH paper out and you'll work out what works well. pH 1 will do it in no time but make sure you dilute it to add acid to water and not the other way around...

I use "Armageddon" really good stuff !! I think it is a mix of hydrochloric, sulphuric & a few other things to boot.
Last time I had blocked exchanger I just dunked it in for about 30 seconds & there it was spotlessly clean & no scale, so clean in fact I could not find a trace of the plates, still very clean & quick acting. :wink_smile:

My dad told me in fish and chip shops they used to add sulphuric to water or re fresh old vinegar in the war times. Nothing to do with gas fitting i know

Come on then Mr Pugwash tell us how you just happened to stumbled over this customer review, I know you were just looking, well, for something completely different, nothing to do with, Oh what the heck...............................?????
Very good though made me LOL

If you seen me in my budgie smugglers, you'd know I didn't have any of this in my bathroom cabinet. Now there's a frightening thought. I'll get my coat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vinegar in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock