Discuss Victoria plumb cistern nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy-yorks

Hi, I was wondering if I could bother you guys for a little help.
I am having problems with a victoria plumb back to wall unit that i purchased. My plumber has been struggling all day and eventually told me that the gear I have bought is not fit for purpose. I called them tonight to see if any help could be given but their technical team is not back until Jan 2. I am trying to get him some advice in the meantime.

The unit I have is the odessa ( not allowed to post links as a new user ? )
I also have the pan pictured and their standard concealed cistern.

These are the issues:

The unit has no removable front panels, so once the cistern is in there is no room for my plumber to get his hand down to help connect the flush or waste pipes or check for leaks.

The pan waste seems to be tapered, so that once a flexi connection pipe is pushed on, within 30 seconds it just pops off again. The website states a flexi pipe is suitable for all their pans.

The coupling nut that connects the flush pipe to the cistern tightens up as much as possible, but still allows enough movement for the pipe to come loose. My plumber tells me they usually come with a fibre washer, but not this one.

Has anyone had any dealings with this gear before, or can offer any advice ?

My best solution would be for one of their representatives to have an on site meeting with my plumber, but after talking to their advice monkeys on the phone, i'm not holding my breath.

Help anyone ? Oh, and season's greetings !

He should be able to cope with the flush pipe issue. But as for the pan, I have come across these tapered before. The trouble is also that the spigot is short too.
unfortunatly its a replacement. You may find the new one is just the same .
Buy cheap buy twice!

try a mcalpine pan connector with the jubilee clip. might just hold it on for you

He should be able to cope with the flush pipe issue. But as for the pan, I have come across these tapered before. The trouble is also that the spigot is short too.
unfortunatly its a replacement. You may find the new one is just the same .
Buy cheap buy twice!

I was worried someone would say that. My plumber said the taper might be a moulding issue. Just gonna have to get a replacement and see if it is any better.
Wasn't really a cheap bathroom to be fair, not in my books anyway. Do VP have a reputation for shoddiness ?

try a mcalpine pan connector with the jubilee clip. might just hold it on for you

My plumber suggested this, as well as an offset bend and rigid pipe to meet up with it fully. But he said it shouldnt really be like this.

I know what your plumber has gone through today and I feel for the poor guy....he's probably at home shaking under a blanket surrounded with empty whisky bottles.

I've always been able to use normal hard pipe pan connectors with back to the wall toilets or if I do need to use one the jubilee clip ones or just silicone it on the day before and hold it in place...its sometimes the only language it understands.

I fit a lot of cheap internet rubbish and always find a way to get it working unless its cracked.

are the panels of the unit removable? they should be, if they just have holes through for the connections cut away downwards so that the toilet can be fitted before the panels are put on. it will make the job much easier to complete.

I know what your plumber has gone through today and I feel for the poor guy....he's probably at home shaking under a blanket surrounded with empty whisky bottles.

I've always been able to use normal hard pipe pan connectors with back to the wall toilets or if I do need to use one the jubilee clip ones or just silicone it on the day before and hold it in place...its sometimes the only language it understands.

I fit a lot of cheap internet rubbish and always find a way to get it working unless its cracked.

I take it that's what I have then, cheap internet rubbish ? dammit, always thought they were a trusted brand.

My plumber is well :nono: off yeah. He is a good mate of mine and I dont like to ask him back just to struggle about again with the stuff I have provided him. He has been the same, doesnt like to struggle just to let me down.

I suppose it's back to VP to try and get my complaints heard and maybe some replacement parts before I call my mate back for round 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
are the panels of the unit removable? they should be, if they just have holes through for the connections cut away downwards so that the toilet can be fitted before the panels are put on. it will make the job much easier to complete.

Thats impossible Steve. There are no removable front panels. Only the top is removable. The plumber had to cut his own gap for the flush and waste.

If you connect the flush and waste to the pan first, its impossible to then connect the cistern to the flush pipe. If you install the cistern first, its impossible to check for leaks properly after you push the pan back on.

I have watched this poor guy struggle and feel guilty for making him install this stuff, but i have paid for it now and cant afford to buy it again. Lesson learned :(

OMG, this brings back a nightmare I went through back in November.
Andy, everything you mentioned sounds like the same problems.
Like Phil says ..... I feel for your plumber too. I ended up making some clips to fit the panels so I could gain access after the job was finished, even though you had to remove the basin as well, it overhung the WC unit stopping you pulling the panels upright. It ended up with a lump of 3 by 2 timber up the back of the cistern because as you flushed the crap flushpipe seal kept moving. I could go on but I am starting to shake and feel a bit faint and I need a drink.
Never say never, but I will never get talked into fitting any cheap internet crap again. The fact the customer was a gorgeous blond must have swayed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Victoria plumb cistern nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock