Discuss Ventilation help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
:90::furious3: :nono::ban::wink_smile:

lol

ref ventilation requirements it all depends if the woman can cook, if any thing like my giant thumb of doom the cremator of salads, you will require a smoke detector and an o2 detector

That's my cooking, the black bits give it some flavour and lack of ventilation means we can stil enjoy that lovely smell in the morning when we prepare to scrape the toast

The original question was quite specific and wanted a simple English explanation. Please let me attempt this sorry where I repeat what others have said. And i have tried to answer some other questions in this thread.

In sort the thing you have quoted means you have to have both background and purge ventilation in the kitchen and the conservatory.
The back ground ventilation is a fixed quanity it is 8000mm2 (80cm2) regardless of the size of rooms.
And it must be above head height - at least above my head - at 1.7 m.
The purge vent must be calculated based on the size of the kitchen and conservatory together.

It does mean that the purge vent in conservatory must be to outside.

My source of reference is building Regs Part F so please do check up! http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Images/Part_F_2006_tcm21-19841.pdf

Apdx B
Purge ventilation means windows and door that open.
For measurement purposes APDX B says in sash windows the 1/20th has to be the measurement of the open space
1/20th of the opening part of a pivot window that pivots 30degrees or more
But if it pivots less than 30 degrees opening part needs to be 1/10th.

MATHS
You know how to work out the floor area. Eg 3x3 kitchen and 3x3 conservatory 18 square metre.
So 1/20th for purge is 18 / 20 = 0.9 m sq
Or 1/10th is 18 / 10 = 1.8 m squ

And it all means in this eg you would need a door or window with at least a 0.9m sq opening from kitchen to conservatory and the same from conservatory to outside. And that if purge ventilation was only just adaquate before the conservatory then it will not be enough after a conservatory is added.

You can have several windows and doors added together to get the right measurement for purge ventilation.

Back ground ventilation generally means trickle ventilation typical in windows, or air brick.

Second source of Reference GSR TB 005(A) which replaced 005 "Gas cookers in Internal Kitchens"
This document states that if the kitchen is 10 cubic metres or more it simply needs have an openable window which complies with the Building Regulations rules above.

So you need to refer to TB005(A) further only if the kitchen is very tiny and/or does not have the ventilation required by current building regs.

What about a Kitchen with No Windows for Purge Ventilation? TB005 (A) states:
Intermittent extract fan above hob 30 l/s
Or
if Located elsewhere in kitchen 60 l/s
It can be manual or automatic.
15 minute over run facility

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ventilation help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry this is so long. I have tried to give all relevant info. We are building a new, small, two-storey house that is off grid for power...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached...
Replies
Views
Went to a property earlier today, the vaillant ecotec has a variable flu kit installed. The outlet of the flu goes through the roof, the air inlet...
Replies
Views
Back