Search the forum,

Discuss unvented discharge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alanc

What would you guys do for a d2 discharge under floor (visible in copper) that was in 28mm hep with pushfit bends fitted, then externally in 28mm coppper.

would it be NCS AR ID ?

regards
Al

it does not have any of them ratings really as its not a gas related issue.

All you can do its put it in writing to your customer and or tennant as a potential dangerous situation and advise its repiped correctly. This then passes the responsibility onto them. Dont forget to include your quote for the work with the letter :)

^^^This is about all you can do... Reference the building regulations and make sure to state why it should be repiped (for safety and the protection of property and persons).

Apart raising it with building control to try and track down the installer that should have registered it (the 2% chance that it's been notified!) there isn't a vast amaount of enforcement action available. If it's a shocker you could RIDDOR it as a dangerous installation to HSE... Not sure if it would get anywhere though, as it's highly unlikely that the installers details are there!

I made the mistake about ten years ago of condemning an installation that had a plastic discharge and termination into a soil stack. To my embarressment the customer pitched up the with print out from building regs to explain the changes - I didn't know.

The discharge does not have to be metal, just 'preferrably metal'. However ABS plastic is specified I think (from memory), which is different to polybutylene in Hep2O, so your concern is justified. In addition I think the 'meltdown' of Hep20 is lower than 136 degrees centigrade, which is the boiling point of water at 3 bar. Hence, Hep not suitable.

With regard to the termination - provided one end of the discharge is visible e.g. tundish, then it can be terminated into a stack.

Be careful about the unvented situation and its gas relation - if it is notified through Corgi or Gas Safe, then customer thinks its a gas related issue. Just had a letter from a solicitor wanting a 'corgi' notification cert for an unvented installation I did a five years ago - customer is moving house.

However, in your instance, just record it as a non-gas related issue, that does not comply with building regs section G3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unvented discharge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi, I'm looking to install an unvented cylinder in my property. I initially hired a plumber who expressed interest in the job, but later cancelled, citing "building regulations" as the reason, specifically regarding the discharge pipe and its location. Subsequently, I reached out to my second...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. We bought a new build and after getting my boiler and unvented cylinder serviced my plumber raised the fact that he estimates the D2 discharge pipe to have a resistance flow length on 12m and as it's 22mm copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’m new to the business so apologies if this is a stupid question. I was tracing the cistern tank overflow pipe and found it eventually went to nowhere. Basically a disaster waiting to happen. The problem I have is that this is a flat on the 2nd floor with no visible external overflow...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, i've just moved into a property last month and begun to take note of things that may need attention. One of which is the feed to a 35kw system boiler appears to be in 22mm flexible steel pipe (tractpipe, or teslaflex or w/e). Distance from the meter is only 4m-5m or so, and I assume...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock