Search the forum,

Discuss Can unvented cylinder discharge be connected to this overflow? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A

aleant

Hi,

I'm looking to install an unvented cylinder in my property.

I initially hired a plumber who expressed interest in the job, but later cancelled, citing "building regulations" as the reason, specifically regarding the discharge pipe and its location.

Subsequently, I reached out to my second choice plumber to inform them about the issue. However, they claimed that there was no problem in utilising the existing overflow piping (indicated by the purple arrow) for the unvented cylinder discharge.

I would appreciate your input on which plumber's advice is correct. Ensuring a safe install is my primary concern.

Some images of the current vented cylider:

Thank you.

G3 regs (unvented cylinders), state that the d2 section of discharge pipework (connects the tundish to final point of discharge), must be capable of handling the temperature (+/-100c).

Typical waste pipes are upvc (which your arrow identified pipe looks to be) which is not rating for these potential high temperatures.

High temp rated pipes that are typically used are:
Copper
PP (polypropylene) pushfit
Mupvc waste pipe (high temp rated waste pipe)

I’m addition to the d2, the soil stack also needs to be able to handle the heat.

So, without confirming the material of your waste pipe, I can not say for certain if it’s ok, but I doubt it.

If you look at a fitting, it should indicate the material.

Nice spot exedon2! Eagle eyes.

OP - yes your first plumber was correct, you can’t use that pipe.
However you could use the route that it takes and replace it with a suitable alternative (copper is my favourite. May need to be upped to 28mm depending on how far it has to go) - this is assuming that the termination is suitable…

Whichever plumber you use they must be G3, I’d steer clear of the 2nd one if I were you…

Reply to Can unvented cylinder discharge be connected to this overflow? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock