Discuss Unvented cylinder service £? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
How much do you charge for a service of an unvented cylinder?
Either ones you have fitted or new builds that need it for the NHBC warranty:hurray:

Never serviced one personally. Fitted plenty and replaced combination and pressure relief valves. What does a service consist of?

I would

clean the line strainer
check expansion vessel charge
check D1 & 2 pipework is good
Give it a wipe off with a j cloth - this is key otherwise they think you have done f-all lol

£60 plus VAT if in Lincoln or £30 plus VAT if done at the same time as their boiler service. Easy money really.

Last edited:
According to the bpec book (I am renewing my UVHWC card tomorrow)

check all components are approved and operational
check valves are operational and thermostats are operational
check for evidence of recent discharge
MANUALLY CHECK TEMP RELIEF VALVE OPENS AND RESEALS
MANUALLY CHECK EXPANSION VALVE OPENS AND RESEALS
check discharge pipes conform and are not obstructed
check cylinder stat is set to 60-65
clean line strainer
check expansion vessel charge / air bubble
check mains pressure and flow upstream of prv
complete paperwork
polish with mr sheen

If i dont have to drive for miles its generally about £45.00. But i dont use a j - cloth its just a mucky towel

Aye if it's local it's £45.00. Nothing to it really. Check that it's installed to regs, D1, D2, D2 termination. Check safety devices, check filter. Look at the mi's for anything else recommended in the service. Fill in the paperwork, Invoice and RUFO.

Aye if it's local it's £45.00. Nothing to it really. Check that it's installed to regs, D1, D2, D2 termination. Check safety devices, check filter. Look at the mi's for anything else recommended in the service. Fill in the paperwork, Invoice and RUFO.

No wipey wipey?

Mind you, the last one I did was nearer a £100. Turned off water and reached up to take the cap off the schraeder valve. The vessel came off the wall. Held on by 2 spring toggles and it was full of water. Original installer wanted shooting. On a nice bit of 18mm ply and hard piped now.

Testing PRVs seems a bit risky for the money. Bloody things start letting by and wish you hadn't gotten involved.

Rays found a gap in the market, personalised j clothes. I can smell a freebie coming on....

No one has mentioned sacrificial anodes.
When servicing a unvented I ask the customer at point of initial contact which cylinder they have?
If it has an anode I explain what it does and the repercussions of not checking it's integrity. I further explain that draining the cylinder to do this can be time consuming and bumps the price upto around 125.00.
I usually let slip what a new cylinder would cost if the old one rotted because the anode was neglected. They usually stump up the extra.....

I have one to do per year. i replaced a combi valve for a customer that my ex boss installed. I asked when it was last serviced. They didn't think it required it. It was 10 years old. I also charged up the expansion vessel as it never had any charge. That's a sweaty job with a hand pump

I really dont come across many or get calls regarding them. Hence havent bothered to do g3

Unvented seem to be getting more popular and for the small cost of doing the G3 qualification it lets you service or do any repairs to unvented units. Well worth the £200 and means you could add it to you adverts or van writing.
Another thing that the unvented units can require is the expansion vessel replaced periodically.
Telford recommend I think, every 5 years. As far as I know the potable vessels are just mild steel and can rot through if the balloon membrane perishes. Mains 3bar water leak will do serious damage.

I agree with you here. It's well worth the 200 quid. I've just renewed for another 5 years and it was 165.00.
I didn't get much unvented work then I got a call from a landlord with 24 of them. All get an annual service and I have replaced 3.
I would have been gutted when that particular call came in if I didn't have the quals. .......

The lettings agency we look after also have about 30 or so. But they don't get serviced although I do pick up work from these, vessels and immersion mainly.

I agree with you here. It's well worth the 200 quid. I've just renewed for another 5 years and it was 165.00.
I didn't get much unvented work then I got a call from a landlord with 24 of them. All get an annual service and I have replaced 3.
I would have been gutted when that particular call came in if I didn't have the quals. .......

My renewal cost me almost £200. Not hard to get the £40 per year back again. The way I look at it, one install will pay that straight away, so worth it even for plumber who only does the odd unvented job. And servicing is usually not hard graft.

£120 inc vat at a Vaillant training centre if you sign up to Vaillant advance

I have never been called to just service a cylinder... I will normally just isolate mains & recharge vessel if a custard has an unvented & add on a small amount to boiler service! I ain't lifting the prvs as they will drip & I will get a call back! I also ain't dismantling the prv to check the line strainer!!

I have never been called to just service a cylinder... I will normally just isolate mains & recharge vessel if a custard has an unvented & add on a small amount to boiler service! I ain't lifting the prvs as they will drip & I will get a call back! I also ain't dismantling the prv to check the line strainer!!

So that is why you are not doing unvented servicing, if you don't pull the T&P & the pressure relief valves it has not been serviced and no they are not like dirty heating systems with 3bar safeties fitted they don't drip.
Well at least only very very very occasionally and of course you have warned the customer any way.

Never had unvented pressure relief keep dripping after I open them, - at least so far anyway!

Never had unvented pressure relief keep dripping after I open them, - at least so far anyway!
Me either. It's one of those apocryphal stories that everyone believes but have never seen happen.[emoji6]

How can you verify operation of the valve without testing it?
Which is why we do it eh best. Plus my servicing record asks if the valves operate.

Thats it you know whats going to happen on the next you go out to Best !!!

Me either. It's one of those apocryphal stories that everyone believes but have never seen happen.[emoji6]

How can you verify operation of the valve without testing it?
Which is why we do it eh best. Plus my servicing record asks if the valves operate.

They are the most important safety parts on a unvented, particularly the p&t relief, is the way I look at it. I have a bad habit of playing with them valves knobs when I have a look in at the units. It's going to bite me someday! :grin:

Went to change a vessel on Sunday night. Student flats, this company has roughly afew thousand cylinders throughout uk. They don't bother servicing them, repairs in the week get left to the maintenance man.
The vessel that had blown was a grey coloured heating type bought from screwfix.....
After changing it, I look down and see a lot of scale around a concealed type tundish. I then realise that the t&p is flowing like a tap. How's your hot water I ask? "Not very good, it runs out before the end of a shower"!
210litre cylinder.....
5/6 people rely on this for hot water but they aren't prepared to have the serviced. Or repaired by anybody certified

Last edited:
Went to change a vessel on Sunday night. Student flats, this company has roughly afew thousand cylinders throughout uk. They don't bother servicing them, repairs in the week get left to the maintenance man.
The vessel that had blown was a grey coloured heating type bought from screwfix.....
After changing it, I look down and see a lot of scale around a concealed type tundish. I then realise that the t&p is flowing like a tap. How's your hot water I ask? "Not very good, it runs out before the end of a shower"!
210litre cylinder.....
5/6 people rely on this for hot water but they aren't prepared to have the serviced. Or repaired by anybody certified

"It's only water!"

210litre cylinder.....

No, they will just wait until it scale's up completely then it will be OK. :dupe:& I have seen that !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder service £? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
I need to change my shower mixer and I have a unvented hot water cylinder. Is it sufficient to turn off the mains? Do I need to drain the...
Replies
Views
Do most composite valves now for unvented cylinders have a tee on them For the expansion valve connection? The ones I used to fit just had the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All, what's the cost of a service for an unvented system ? (valiant boiler & mega flow cylinder). I was charged £320.00, for the following...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock