Currently reading:
Underfloor heating not zoned

Discuss Underfloor heating not zoned in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Lloyd

I've just had ufh installed at a cost of £4,750 for 30 m2 (via same builder who has done £20k building work). It has a pump and separate thermostat but it will only work when the CH for the rest of the house is on. I expected that it would work independently especially since the new large room with the ufh is where we will spend most of our time now. I need to approach the builder and need to know whether this is reasonable to expect or not. Is there likely to be a lot more cost? Cheers.

Sounds like he may have just tapped into the heating system. To get it seprate from that you need to have had the flow joined into the primary flow(maybe in the airing cuboard if you have one) with a motorized valve controlling it. So when the underfloor calls for heat the vavle opens and the boiler switches on leaving the heatin valve closed!

Basic mistake by someone who does not understand what they are doing. It must be zoned seperately so that it can have its own time and temperature controll.

Thankls. My issue is that I did not specify it to be separately zoned not understanding it, I just assumed that when he said it would be on a separate loop that it would be independently controlled. Given what we have paid (£4,750 including all the pulling up of the flooor and insulation) is this a reasonable explanation? I have no problem paying a fair price for a fair job but if the builder tries to ask for more to rectify then I want to be talking from a position of strength.

I've just had ufh installed at a cost of £4,750 for 30 m2 (via same builder who has done £20k building work). It has a pump and separate thermostat but it will only work when the CH for the rest of the house is on. I expected that it would work independently especially since the new large room with the ufh is where we will spend most of our time now. I need to approach the builder and need to know whether this is reasonable to expect or not. Is there likely to be a lot more cost? Cheers.

Sorry to say mate you got ripped off big time and got half a job for it to
I fit underfloor all time I wish I got paid that much lol

you have a one room single zone fitted into existing heating system this is quite acceptable .the flow and rtn is taken from closest radiator pipes-the draw back as you know htg has to be on .a zoned uf system is better but more work to do as pipes have to be run back to cylinder cupboard.you could possibly fit honeywell rf radiator valves and a twin channel programmer so the htg is switched on for uf but trvs would be off untill programmer called for heat to them.i have used these when the house should be twin zoned and it has not been piped that way.

ant

If you have fitted Honeywell RF valves I would say its acceptable if you havnt it isnt due to different heat up times
Easier and cheaper to zone at installation stage I would think

Last edited:
Dear all, I'm looking at installing Uponor Push 12 system with 15mm PEX using their Floating Floor Panels. All seems straight forward (ish) but as its replaces a radiator on the circuit, its only on when the heating is on. Does this mean I'll have to put all heating on 2 hours earlier in order to get room temp right at the time i want it? We are refurbishing a first floor room with solid walls so insulating floor and external walls to improve heat loss, but has anyone actulaly fitted one of these systems and had any feed back from users?

Given whats been said on the other thread about separate zones and control valves this sounds like what I need. The boiler feeds an OSO Unvented Water Heater, is it still possible to add motorised valves and programmers, if so where do they need to be on circuit? Utility room is some distance from Bedroom where UHF is to be installed.

Any relevant comments welcome

Damon

I have a couple of the de longhi brand electric heaters that are filled with peanut oil.. they are 1500 watt, but i can keep my house toasty warm with them turned onto the 600 watt setting, with the t-stat set low..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor heating not zoned in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock