Search the forum,

Discuss Tips on doing a thick layer of silicon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I need to put a 3cm layer of silicon around my washbasin but I just cannot get a good smooth layer. It always ends up rutted.

Any top tips please

thanks

Paul

silicon isnt made to fill gaps that size but industril wipes are a help as is fairy liquid to smooth it of

3cm wide gap? I'd fill it with a piece of wood first, then silicone.

can not think of a reason to put 30mm wide bead of silicon behind a basin?!

Bead in round or pack out correctly as required with a suitable material and then seal with a nice bead of silicon as should be done

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
3cm sounds like a batten and tile over with a normal thin silicone bead at the interface. Alternatively you can get white plastic in a 30x22 solid section, put that in a silicone the interface.

Don't do all the silicone in one go, build it up in layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tips on doing a thick layer of silicon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

N
Hey DIY enthusiasts, Just wrapped up a drain installation and wanted to share some quick tips for a smooth project: 1. Plan Smart: Think about the slope, existing pipes, and ideal placement before you start. A good plan saves time. 2. Get the Gear: Collect all the tools and materials you need...
Replies
Views
Nasir Ahamed
N
Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along with the Thomas Dudley Basin Waste kit All relatively straightforward to put together but why is it still dripping I'm using the preexisting metal...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have a Mira agile/pronta shower mixer valve attached to a tiled wall. It doesn't say in the manual but do you need to silicone around the periphery of the mixer where it meets the tiled wall? Or are they internally sealed or doesn't matter if water seeps into it from splashing etc...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’m currently in the process of refurbing my house, and have opted to wet UFH for the whole of the downstairs. The upstairs will be radiators. The flooring I’ve chosen is 14mm thick engineered wood and I just wanted to know the best way to do things. At current, the builder was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock