Search the forum,

Discuss Sulphuric acid, hair in shower plug, very weird thing occuring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Stigster

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Hi guys, I've got a bit of a strange one here and wondering if anyone else has found this situation or has an explanation. Both me and the Mrs are long-haired types so the shower drain gets quite clogged with the stuff which I have to clean out every now and again. In my line of work I've occasionally used sulphuric acid to clear hair blockages like this but never actually bothered to try at home. Every shower drain I ever put the 92% sulphuric in cleared almost instantly and in a puff of acrid smoke. Not at my house though!

Here's the weird bit. I've got light brown hair, the mrs dyes her hair almost black. I put 150ml of acid in the drain yesterday, got a puff of smoke and some fizzing, left it for 5 minutes and then flushed it through with water. All my brown hair is gone but the Mrs's black hair remains! Weird eh? I decided to give it another shot. This time almost no reaction. I left it for half an hour this time, flushed it with water and the hair is still there! WTF is going on? Why is my wife's hair seemingly immune to nearly pure sulphuric acid? We've been together 20 years so I know she's not wearing a nylon wig. It's the puzzle of the century to me. I can only think the dye she uses changes the property of her hair but I'd have thought I'd have come across this issue in other people's houses if that were the case.

Anyone know why her her is indestructible? I'm tempted to get the blowlamp out and see if it is also fireproof but it'll stink the house out.

i too would say its something to do with the dye, maybe its creating a protective layer so the acid cant do its jobs

:D wouldnt test the fire proof nature of it indoors tho

Reply to Sulphuric acid, hair in shower plug, very weird thing occuring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
I can't get a consensus on this from four plumbers that have visited. We've been using the system with no prpblems for 7 years - but the cylinder leaks and needs replacing. It's an old and peculiar set up I have onherited after buting my two storey house. I would greatly appreciate any...
Replies
Views
Hi, the water in my bathtub has been draining really slowly recently. I investigated it today and there was a large build up of gunk right under the plug hole, quite thick. I jabbed it hard with a stick and it completely dislodged and got sent down the pipes. I tried the taps again and the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all. Apologies if this is not the right forum to post my question. I recently purchased a house which had water leaking from the shower tray into the room below. It wasn't too bad but I could see the water marks in the ceiling. Since I'm not from the area, I got a few plumber recommendations...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock