Search the forum,

Discuss soldering compression fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traineedrip

Noticed on here that someone had done this on another thread.

I have a job in a third floor flat that needs some CH pipe replacing to a rad. Its on a combi so its pressurised.
Its going to be tricky to get a dry pipe as its under boards and Im worried about geting a good solder seal.

I hate the idea of a hidden underfloor compression fitting, especially in a flat. If i cant get a soldered seal with an end feed or yorky is it acceptable to use compression fitting and solder to make it 100% water tight?

So acceptable or is it a no no? It was just a thought having seen it done on here.

Thanks

If you can't get a solder ring fitting to solder due to water in pipes how are you going to do it with a compression fitting?

A compression joint is fine as long as you check and double check when it pressurised again

Or use some kind of speedfit. There are many different types and makes, but a Hep20 coupling would be my make of choice.

i've seen it done - Well, thats a lie, i've seen an OLIVE soldered to the pipe, and a comp fitting nipped onto it.......Rough as.

How much extra work is it to lift a board ????

Maybe you could connect the flexi's from the rads to the pipework this way :eek::p

Wel I've never stil a pup.. but if you really wanna and 'if it makes you happy it can't be that bad'.. try fit a typeB compression fitting this is a recommended fitting for underground use and then you forget soldier..

K13wjd, im lifting the boards anyway.

The bit id be soldering would be the outside of the fitting against the pipe, which would be dry when nipped up first. having seen this done on a piccy on here, id guess the solder prevents anything moving on the thread of the fitting and creates an extra seal

Gray, I thought compression fittings should only be used when visual rather than hidden under the floor?

Trying to avoid plastic if poss.

Fair enough ill stick to drying the pipe and soldering...... and then chuck a flexi on the end:D;)

Wel I've never stil a pup.. but if you really wanna and 'if it makes you happy it can't be that bad'.. try fit a typeB compression fitting this is a recommended fitting for underground use and then you forget soldier..

Totally forgot about the alternative compression style! Nice one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever put a picture up here of a soldered comp joint would have done it to show us how totally wrong it is...I'm failry sure of that.

I think the alternative compression joint you guys are talking about is type B, which requires a flared pipe end.

Personally I think you could be making a rod for your own back if you go down that route, but I salute your resolve. Better to take pride and do a really good joint you can be happy with.

I'd prob just stick a Hep coupling on there!!!!!!!

I remember back in the day when i were a lad , that southern gas would not accept any compression fittings on gas unless the olive was soldered on ! at the time north thames was fine without, :eek:
You still would not be able to solder your fitting on the outside with water in pipe anyway , and its gas pipework that is not allowed with an innaccessible compression fitting water is ok.:)

Or the bread method?

Never tried it myself but have heard it works. Bung piece of bread in the pipe, solder quick-sharp. Bread all-but dissolves and can be flushed out if poss.

Or the bread method?

Never tried it myself but have heard it works. Bung piece of bread in the pipe, solder quick-sharp. Bread all-but dissolves and can be flushed out if poss.

surely it,ll be 'toast' after soldering lol :)

The compression fitting you saw soldered was only a fitting soldered above a compression fitting and the solder had run down pipe onto compression fitting

The compression fitting you saw soldered was only a fitting soldered above a compression fitting and the solder had run down pipe onto compression fitting

On that hot water cylinder? Blimey. Looked coated!

Thinking about it now it would be pointless as once done the fittings had it. Nothing you can do if it leaks.

I`ll wet vac the pipe and solder, then i`ll walk away happy. The customers often away for months, and with 2 flats below It needs to be right.

Thanks for clearing that up.:)

the part 2 comp fittings referred to above are for underground not underfloor,

KJ

Use the bread method, it does work. Bung bread into pipe so that it soaks up the excess water, leave it in there. Then solder as normal, when filling up the bread is dissolved.

Look here. If you need to do a joint under a floor on a wet pipe what's is the big deal guys? If you are worried about that buy a Kuterlite which is the best compression fitting on the market. Literally one turn and thats it. Never leak.

Who said you can't do it? on gas in an inaccessible position no mechanical fitting is allowed but then again a gas pipe is easy - it doesn't get wet.

Or the bread method?

I wouldn't use brad on a heating pipe with a modern boiler. Compression fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to soldering compression fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock