Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing TRV thread without removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bubblecraft

Hey everyone

Did a bathroom fit a few months back where I also fitted a towel warmer linked with the existing central heating. There was a bit of play with the TRV when fitting (as always with towel rads) so put plenty of PTFE on at the time. Everything was fine & heated without any problems. This is fitted in a top floor flat on a non pressurised system. The header is also feeding the other properties.

The customer contacted me tonight to say he's been using the heating a good bit more with the colder weather & has noticed a very small bead of water forming from the valve. Under normal circumstances, I'd just remove the rad ect but to do so here, I need to turn off the water to the whole block including 3 of the shops on the main street & drain down the header which also feeds the other properties as there is no stopcock within the property.

Is there a product I can put around the valve where it meets the rad like Loctite liquid PTFE (If suitable as I've never used it that way before) or something like that to save the hassle of removing the rad?

Freeze pipes?

Remove the towel rail as it will be very hard to remove & refit the valve tail without water everywhere, unless the pipes can be moved out of position a lot. Have someone help you with it.
Putting sealants outside the joint is no good really.
Make sure you use enough ptfe tape next time, but not so much that it pushes off. Use Boss White on it as it will seal well & it lubricates the joint, so makes a better filled joint.

Last edited:
You could always try just tightening the tale while still live by loosening the nut to the valve and nipping the tale up, you might be lucky!

tie ballvalve up and just drop the level enough to do the top floor rad no need to effect the shops there ar valves out there with rubber washers on a flange like the air vents when ever i get these i save the tails as they are perfect for cheap towel rail connections
looks like all stella valves are like this now
[DLMURL="http://www.giacomini.co.uk/product-details.asp?submit=+View+full+Product+details...&productID=115"]Giacomini UK :: Giacomini UK - Online Product Finder[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
With further thought into it, each valve is in 2 parts so will be able to shut them off, drain, split the valve & re-tape. For some reason I had in my head that it was a 1 piece valve cause it was straight & not an angled valve - Duh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing TRV thread without removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Rad is leaking from TRV valve, seems to be seeping out of where the pin comes up. I tried tightening up the nut below the pin, but that didn't help. I then looked online and saw that removing the nut and packing with some plumbers tape may help, but whenever I try to remove the nut a load of...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi, The isolation valve feeding my toilet cistern was leaking. After considerable effort, I was able to lift up the cistern to put an O-ring washer around the top of the inner circle referred to with an arrow in the attached image. Unfortunately, when I let the water through, there was a burst...
Replies
Views
I have had no end of trouble recently fitting a heated towel rail. First problem is tightening the fittings so that it is tight in the correct position/orientation for the flow/return pipework, these have o rings for sealing but are not always water tight at the correct position. Also some of...
Replies
Views
I'm in a bit of a bind with a current CH install where I need to install a filter prior to a flush but no where to install My issue is the return on the combi (ideal 35) runs directly behind the boiler then up through the ceiling so I have no clearance to even attempt to snake it out to fit a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock