Search the forum,

Discuss alternate straight through CH return valve for combi in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm in a bit of a bind with a current CH install where I need to install a filter prior to a flush but no where to install

My issue is the return on the combi (ideal 35) runs directly behind the boiler then up through the ceiling so I have no clearance to even attempt to snake it out to fit a filter also the CH is all concealed pipes with 10mm Hep2O feeding the rads so I couldn't even place it elsewhere on the system like the last rad.

My question is does anyone know of a straight through return valve for the combi to re-orientate the return pipe to vertical as this should give me just enough clearance to create a loop for a filter and then back onto the recessed return to the rest of the system.

I have called Ideal and they don't stock one and with the rads in the condition they are in I don't want to even attempt a flush without a filter and run all the sludge through the boiler, I also can't seem to find a flush machine for hire that has magnetic filters.

many thanks

Tap connector ?

thanks shaun

If i'm following you and there is every chance i'm not because i'm a real blonde that would drop the valve down which may cause issues as it's in a cupboard and the filling hose would then be half in half out

Ideally i simply want to re-orientate the return pipe to vertical as opposed to straight back which should give me just enough room to create a loop for a filter to attach to, the only other way I can think of doing it is to have the boiler taken off and pipe reworked and I don't do that as i'm fine with liquid leaking but not ok with boilers booming.

Again i'm probably missunderstanding your idea so I have attached a photo for the current implimentation

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 13
Can you draw what you mean as it goes vertical now ?

Can you draw what you mean as it goes vertical now ?
Thanks for helping with this Shaun, if you see from the image the return valve with the black lever currently attaches to the combi and then the return pipe goes straight back and via an elbow or bend goes behind the boiler and up towards the ceiling.

Ideally what i'm looking for is a replacement valve if one exists that will have the return pipe go down vertically (red) that will then exit the boiler cupboard where I will create a loop and attach a filter which will then pipe (green) back into the cupboard and rejoin the existing pipe that goes to the rads

Attachments

• angle2.jpg
    angle2.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 10
Tap connector and get a filter with a set of valves etc

Condense pipe will have to be moved tho

Could use existing valve and elbow down, then right and run pipe up the side of boiler.
That's my new plan Timmy, I managed to get up the ceiling yesterday, not easy with a bad leg and steps locked in the garage with no keys (my next project)

I measured all the drops that i would need to go around and I should manage to keep the condensate pipe in place although i'm not sure why it's configured like that and I should be able to avoid the PRV pipe

The only annoying bit I think will be is the return pipe between the ceiling and the top of the boiler cupboard as it has a large coupler possibly pressfit looking at the ribbing taking up most of the clearence so it might be tight in cutting out that section to fit another elbow it's painted white and realy caked on there so i'll know bettter once i have stripped it back to copper.

Reply to alternate straight through CH return valve for combi in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock