Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss scrap value? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keiththegasman

hi, old combi boiler heat exchanger..... all the brass bit removed... is this clean copper or mixed???!!!

scrappy west of edinburgh reckons its mixed.... anyone know better?

Always had it down as heavy copper, some scrappies are fussy though and may still call it brazing or mixed, due to alloy coating?

My scrappie won't accept heat exchangers full stop. He doesn't believe they're made from copper.

So whats the general concensus, clean or brazery when weighing one in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get clean price.
Cut the threads off a cylinder (unlagged) and get clean for that too. Extra tenner for 2 minutes with the grinder.

I get clean price.
Cut the threads off a cylinder (unlagged) and get clean for that too. Extra tenner for 2 minutes with the grinder.

get double for doing that with the cylinders with the scraps i use . They do ask to weigh the empty bags after tho which they never use to do (I use the thick green garden refuse bags)

Does anybody cut the expanded foam off cylinders? I weighed one in last week and got about £55 with the foam. I cut the foam off one the same size this week and got about £35. Just wondering if Ive shot myself in the foot by removing it? Or are prices declining?

clean is just copper
brazery is copper with solder on this is why a cylinder should have the brass removed also in this catagorey are heat exchangers from ascots and some combis
mixed is when its got brass on but still has to be mostly copper
brass is just brass but the wont worry if it has some copper on it
its well worth cleaning the scrap you get into these catogories
if you just take it in as mxed they will clean it for the profit
i cut all the solder fittings of they go in the brazery and the copper goes as clean

Last edited:
clean is just copper
brazery is copper with solder on this is why a cylinder should have the brass removed also in this catagorey are heat exchangers from ascots and some combis
mixed is when its got brass on but still has to be mostly copper
brass is just brass but the wont worry if it has some copper on it
its well worth cleaning the scrap you get into these catogories
if you just take it in as mxed they will clean it for the profit
i cut all the solder fittings of they go in the brazery and the copper goes as clean

Strange the variation in scrap merchants, i do just the same with the exception of cutting off the soldered fittings coz my scrappy will accept them as clean or No1 as they call it.

last two times I've been to the scrap merchants there was someone from the local council writing down vehicle reg numbers of everyone going there - anyone else seen this ?

last two times I've been to the scrap merchants there was someone from the local council writing down vehicle reg numbers of everyone going there - anyone else seen this ?

Out of about a dozen trips the council, dvla, coppers and hmrc have been there 3 times. Took more interest in none signed up vehicles though!

Might be checking for waste carriers licence............. one of their fun little games when they're not busy issuing parking tickets :)

Not seen this but it dont mean it aint happened. Gotta show your driving license or proof of identity where i go too.

Does anybody cut the expanded foam off cylinders? I weighed one in last week and got about £55 with the foam. I cut the foam off one the same size this week and got about £35. Just wondering if Ive shot myself in the foot by removing it? Or are prices declining

Were you going to the scrapy i want his address if he dont open em up and take the foam and scale out , hes paying for copper not foam and scale

Not a bad thing if it deters people nicking all the lead from church roofs, stealing storm drains (would not like to fall down one of them), stripping peoples pipework & electrics out when they're on holiday e.t.c

Does anybody cut the expanded foam off cylinders? I weighed one in last week and got about £55 with the foam. I cut the foam off one the same size this week and got about £35. Just wondering if Ive shot myself in the foot by removing it? Or are prices declining

Were you going to the scrapy i want his address if he dont open em up and take the foam and scale out , hes paying for copper not foam and scale

They usually just puncture them and drain any residual water out and then weigh it. Last few times I took it as a standard price for a scrap cylinder.

Out of interest, what is chromed copper / brass classed as?

I always treat it as un-chromed, never had any complaints yet, but then again theres never much of it and i usually try and bury it a little.

The scrap place i went to gave me extra for chrome. About them taking reg plate number and things the scrap man said their having a big crackdown on stolen scrap.

Did anyone listen to Jeremy Vine today on radio 2? They were discussing scap metal theft, someone rung in saying that his disabled son (6 years old) had his electric wheelchair stolen from their back garden which cost them £12,000!

They were seen by neighbours but they didn't stop them for some reason, the chair was scrapped for £32 apparantly.

Heartless....

Did anyone listen to Jeremy Vine today on radio 2? They were discussing scap metal theft, someone rung in saying that his disabled son (6 years old) had his electric wheelchair stolen from their back garden which cost them £12,000!

They were seen by neighbours but they didn't stop them for some reason, the chair was scrapped for £32 apparantly.

Heartless....

How did they know it went for £32?

I don't know, maybe the police told them or they asked around at local scrap yard?

Have a listen on BBC Iplayer, fast forward to about half way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to scrap value? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock