Discuss Safely removing elec shower / making cable safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
It's got electrical isolation in the cupboard next door and is being replaced with mixer.

What's 1) the law 2) safest proceedure / best practice for a plumber (with no elec quals) to isolate, test isolation has worked and safely remove shower and make cable safe in cavity?

Seems OTT to get spark in for it but maybe it's not?

The safest way would be to disconnect the cable from the consumer unit, but not a good idea to go poking around in there if you are not competent. Easiest way would be to isolate the supply at the consumer unit and physically disconnect the shower cable from the isolation switch in the cupboard (the cable going from the switch to the shower, not the consumer unit to the switch!). You could also remove the switch and replace it with a blanking plate, just make sure to safely terminate the wires inside!

Not too sure what the law is, I did a defined scope Part P course a few years ago, which allows me to carry out minor work and tests on electrical systems, I'd imagine that technically you probably aren't allowed to touch it!

Yes this is a bit of a grey area. Us mere plumbers are not allowed to add circuits but there is nothing about removing them. Assuming you are confident opening the box the risk would be that the IP rating could be compromised if a fat 6 or 10 mm cable was withdrawn leaving a hole greater than 1mm. However if the hole was safely plugged that would be covered.

If you disconnect the cables (and I'm not advising you to do so), current regs are for the cables to be safely protected in a waterproof "choc box" especially if in a cavity. I'd get a spark in mate. If something went wrong or worse still someone in the future drilled into your live cable, you'd end up in jail.

Get a spark to remove it completely and all the way back to the consumer box and remove the fuse or isolate rcd for it.

Hi all, hope you’ll find this interesting:

From BS 7671:2008 (Electrical Regs - 17th edition to you and me)

114 RELATIONSHIP WITH STATUTORY REGULATIONS
114.1 The Regulations are non-statutory. They may, however, be used in a court of low in evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirements. And it goes on ……………………….

Basically, as long as you know what you are doing - you can do whatever you want (almost) but when you are end up in the court – the Regs (17th) will be used to make sure everything you’ve done is up to scratch.
If you are not sure – get someone in who knows – a competent person.

From the same regs:

134 ERECTION AND INITIOAL VERIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS.
134.1 ERECTION
Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installations. Blah, blah, blah….

If you are doing it yourself – make sure you do it right. Keep safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Safely removing elec shower / making cable safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a shower which has always been too hot no matter how you adjust the mixer temperature but recently it's really burning hot. The shower is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, can someone get to the bottom of this before I call a plumber, en suite shower started leaking from the mixer bar so took the shower off...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I did a job today in a block of flats, fairly old place, plumbing was all a bit ropey in this particular flat. The job was to change an...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have a negative head twin impeller Stuart Turner pump feeding hot and cold to three showers, one bath, plus hot to three basin's from my gravity...
Replies
Views
So recently we had a shower with exposed pipes and I decided to sink the pipes into the wall, Ive completed that task only to find I havent sank...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock