Search the forum,

Discuss Shower mixer too hot in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a shower which has always been too hot no matter how you adjust the mixer temperature but recently it's really burning hot.

The shower is in a loft conversion and the plumbers teed off a downstairs shower to feed the bathroom upstairs. There are two isolation valves downstairs for hot and cold and when I isolate the hot, there is just a trickle of cold in the shower whilst the sink next to the shower has full cold pressure.

Am I right in thinking the most likely suspect is a faulty shower mixer? I cannot see any visible isolators after the downstairs shower and the fact that the sink has a full flow makes me think it's likely something after this.

Trying to do some detective work to avoid ripping off some very large and expensive tiles

Could be a partially blocked inlet filter on the cold, that’s where I’d be looking first.
Thanks a lot Ben. So I did some experimenting (and got a bit wet).

• I removed the thermostatic cartridge after isolating the hot and cold. When cold is turned on it flows freely through the hole where the cartridge was.
  • Put the cartridge back in with the hot still isolated, lovely cold water pressure through the shower head
  • Turned the hot back on, cold disappears and it's boiling hot no matter what direction you turn the thermostat

Now thinking that I might get away with replacing the cartridge. I've found what looks to be an identical one

IMG_2013.JPG
Here:
cartridge replacement

Expensive part but cheaper than a new shower and less hassle than ripping tiles off. Think it's worth a punt?

First check all the dimensions on yours against the very comprehensive diagram on that page, also count splines etc.

Look inside the brass body and check for scoring/ damage, in particular where the o-rings go.

Clean up the body as best you.

If everything looks ok and the cartridge dimensions match, then yes it’s probably worth trying it.

Reply to Shower mixer too hot in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock