Discuss replacing Worcester combi boiler with multipoint gas water heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DAVID65

You guys will think me insane (I can handle that) - I have a Worcester combi and central heating system, despite having a maintenance contract I have recently been told that I will have to stand the cost of a repair £500 (because fault due to sludge in system). This is the final straw as I hate central heating system. Worst case scenario in terms of cost is replacing my combi with a multipoint and ripping out my central heating system. Would really appreciate advice.

You're with british gas aren't you.

Cancel the contract, get a second opinion from an independent gsr.

Welcome to the forums.

And moving this thread to the correct forum.

not with British Gas, I am with Eon - it matters not. The point is I want to get rid of my central heating system. Costly way of doling this is replacing combi with multipoint.

I have given quotes for 4 people recently who were told they had sludge problems by a service contract provider. None of them had a sludge problem. Two had faulty pumps one had the thermostat turned down on the boiler and one was working fine......

Phone someone local for a quote to put right.

If you have your heart set on removing the heating then just remove the rads cap the pipes. Leave a small rads in airing cupboard or similar to at as a bypass in fault situation and jobs a good un. Your combi will then be just a water heater

I went to a Scottish power customer yesterday who'd been told she needed a new mid position valve but they wouldn't replace it unless she had a £650 powerflush. The system wiring was terrible so I disconnected and re-wired the y plan and found the problem was being caused by a faulty frost stat in the garage and the boiler and pump being wired up wrong.

Nothing wrong with the valve at all and the system water was clean as a whistle.

These companies employ idiots who are a, not very good at their jobs and b, forced to sell power flushes and boiler replacements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, eon tell you you have sludge in your heating and you want to rip it all out?? OTT
if your going to change your boiler fit a Intergas, very few parts to go wrong especially if your system isn't the best. If you ain't happy with it the intergas can be adapted to then be used as a water heater.

You guys will think me insane (I can handle that) - I have a Worcester combi and central heating system, despite having a maintenance contract I have recently been told that I will have to stand the cost of a repair £500 (because fault due to sludge in system). This is the final straw as I hate central heating system. Worst case scenario in terms of cost is replacing my combi with a multipoint and ripping out my central heating system. Would really appreciate advice.

So First, what is the fault diagnosis? And what are the symptoms? Diverter valve? Pump? Heat exchanger?

Cool down and:

1. Cancell that contract - what the point of it if you need to pay 500GBP on top of it. Good Service contractrs usually cost 10% of the NEW equipment price per year, and include FREE REPAIR/REPLACEMENT, if it goes south by itself... (at least with the scientific stuff).

2. Try finding GOOD independant plumber(s). Ask for their advice/quotes. Tell them that you can give them a hand if needed (esp with radiators flushing).

3. Read this: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/c...olution-how-do-proper-cheap-job-yourself.html
4. If your's boiler still provides hot water - just keep using as it is.

5. If you definitively want a tankless water heater - just site it, so it is close to the kitchen/bath taps (on HW pipe distance, if you have space), and you don't have to ripp out the main boiler. Connect the heater in parallel with the boiler and put two isolating valves in front of each on CW and HW, so you get RAID1-like setup for the DHW with manual fail-over (just use the one, that it's working at any time). Later on, you can restore the "degenerated" water heater array to optimal condition by fixing the combi :)
6. If your circumstances change, and you (or family wants) the CH or a ground source heat pump in the future - connect it to existing system after flushing and rads up-sizing.

PS: That was how I + gas safe mate had fixed HW at my place (with landlady's consent) 3 years ago, and the ~20 years valiant still provides the CH...

when i worked for eon they would not buy you a decent drill bit, so i cant see em buying a water sample kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to replacing Worcester combi boiler with multipoint gas water heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I have a gas boiler in my apartment that heats a net area of 300 m2 with an underfloor heating system. The boiler has a capacity of 45 kW...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
T
Replacing elderly Brittony 11T multipoints,I have three bathrooms ,two kitchens (heating by baxi wallheaters,preferable to the cost of central...
Replies
Views
My first thought when I heard this fault a combi boiler with hot water but no heating. Was a problem with the stat, controls not making the call...
Replies
Views
Back