Discuss Question/Advice on low pressue in hot water tap! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emmablue29

Hi everyone,
I have a problem and just looking for some advice or suggestions on what might be my problem.

Recently moved to a two bed flat, been here for 5 months. Since we moved in, we've had very low pressure on the hot water taps in the kitchen and bathroom (sinks and tub). It takes 30-40 minutes to run a bath and 10 minutes to run the sink in kitchen to wash up.

Upon contacting the waterboard (Severn Trent) they said that low preassure on the hot water is a plumbing issue and has nothing to do with them. If it was cold water, they would have to fix it or provide a discount on water. Well, the cold water is fine.

So I've been putting up with the situation thinking it might be normal. We recently had a water meter fitted because we were just paying a standard yearly rate. When the plumber from the waterboard fitted it he commented on the water pressure and said it was ridiculously low and he'd never seen anything as bad as that. He suggested that it might be because in a house, water usually falls from a tank from an upstairs room thus gaining gravity's speed. Being in a flat, the water runs straight and doesn't have the advantage of gravity. I thougth good point BUT we moved from a different flat in the same building (same set up) and the water pressure was fine in that flat... He said it is definetly an issue that needs raising with the landlord. I told the landlord who has been taking his sweet bum time to 'consult his plumber'.

He finally consulted his plumber and has basically said that the previous tenants never raised an issue so he's blaming it on the fact that we got a meter installed. Even though it was like that before the meter was installed... he said he won't investiagte it further without the waterboard doing some checks. Personally I think he is just beating around the bush... he tends to do that.

I spoke to the waterboard today and they are going to contact me in due course about obtaining some kind of written evidence that the low pressure has nothing to do with them and needs addressing.

Anyone experienced similar problems or know if it is a 'fixable' problem? Is the landlord obligated to fix it at all? What is the problem with the water!?

Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

Emma

You need to tell us if you have a combi boiler (gas) or a storage tank in the airing cupboard. It sounds like you have a fortic or combination tank, which means low pressure hot water, because there is little head for gravity pressure (where tank is at same level as outlets; flat or single storey dwelling).

If you have a direct fired combination boiler (gas) which heats the water instantly, then this may be fixable - it could be a faulty diaphragm on the water section, or undersized gas supply or just low performance 24kw model.

Hello Emma,

You may have had a different set up in your old place, even something as simple as low pressure taps may make a difference. If you've got flexi hoses instead of the copper 1/2 inch connections this may also have a bearing on it.

Your pressure in the flat is governed by the height of the cold water tank above the hot water cylinder. If the tank is just above the cylinder then the pressure will be awful. The only thing you can really do is put in an unvented cylinder this will give you mains pressure throughout or raise the tank into the loft if at all possible.

Niether of these options is particulary cheap and therefore the landlord may not have the money to do them. I think his obligation to you is make sure you have hot water.

It's a storage tank - heated over night by electricity (Economy 7). No gas in the property.

And personally I have no idea where the main water supply comes in from - whether it is in a tank somwhere or just comes in through pipes.

I'm just hoping it is a cheap problem to fix because my landlord is a cheap skate even though he is loaded... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Emma

Its most likely what I thought - an economy seven, fortic tank - these tanks have combined cold water storage (at top) which feeds into the hot water storage (bottom) within the same unit - have a look under the lid, to see the top tank. Because the height of the storage is only one metre above the taps, you will get poor flow rates.

Your landord will be happy to keep things the way they are becuase fortics provide low maintenance, but low performance.

Pumping is an option (noisy) or unvented (expensive).

If you require showering pressure as a priority ask for electric shower or for better performance the trevi boost, which was designed for your situation.

Ok could you suggest why we haven't experienced this problem on the other flat? It is literaly in the next stair well of the complex and is built the same - same tanks/E7 and layout in terms of rooms.

Also, we have an eletric shower and the pressure for that is fine. Actually, there is quite a bit of pressure coming through the shower - more than I've ever experienced with a shower before. I know this sounds daft but when we first moved in, because the preasure was so powerful and we weren't used to it, it sort of hurt... lol if you know what I mean..

the electric shower is run direct of the mains so its technically a different supply

I would see if you can view the old flats plumbing and compare the difference and note it back hear as combination cylinders have awful hw flow as standard

Also as mentioned a cheap tap from b and q will restrict the flow even more due to poor manufacturing standards

i suspect its always been like that

you may have a partial air lock which can slow but not stop flow. does the pipe run up then down anywhere?

Thanks for the suggestion Tom but I am unable to get access to the old flat now.

Not sure about where the piping runs. If it was an air lock, would this be a cheap fix with an easy soloution?

There is a relatively simple soloution but I would speak to the landlord about it. Pressure or flow will always be a problem with this sort of system.

To improve it will be costly (other than an airlock). The landlord will be reluctant to do anything, although he may be loaded he is running this as a business and unfortunately will only do essential repairs. This is not an essential repair.

If it were your place as said earlier you can have an unvented cylinder or if possible scrap the old cylinder and put a new one in with a cold water tank in the loft.

Unfortunately, your between a rock and a hard place.

Your on cold water mains throughout your flat so you haven't got a problem with the cold at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question/Advice on low pressue in hot water tap! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back