Search the forum,

Discuss Pushfit Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

womble

I need help before i lose my mind lol. I have used 5 of these pushfit fittings now on my bathroom and all have leaked.

892972.jpg

Please tell me what i am doing wrong.

They are leaking from the base of the tap, I have hand tightened them and they leak. I have tightened them tight and they leak, I am going out of my mind can somebody please tell me where i am going wrong, The pushfit part has no problem and is working perfect its when i screw to the tap i am having issue's. I was advised that this is easy. I fell stupid.

Hey have you wrapped PTFE tape (costs about £1) around the thread?

A normal thread will not be water tights as water will shoot through the gap thats why you wrap it with a tape that does not let water pass. This is normal practice not a quick fix.

Oops actually looking at the thread it has a washer that will seal. What is the condition of the washer? is it frayed? or mishaped?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're fitting onto old taps the condition of the threads, or dirt/grit/sealant might be an issue but I can't see why you'd be using new flexi's on old taps.

If you over-tightened them in desperation second time around they may well not seal any more.

Otherwise, bad bunch. You used 5 of the same make yeah? You can get duds. Unusual though. If you went for something like screwfix's cheapest you take your chances. Send them back. These things do work and hand-tight is usually enough.

Can you give us a link to where you bought them? Help warn us of of them.

are you a hundred percent sure the leak isnt from higher up and running down? wipe tissue paper above the join to test for dampness but rub it dry first as condensation will make it appear wet.

I avoid flexis where ever possible but where I have no choice I make sure that I add a fibre washer not to be confused with tap conn washers good luck for next time..regards turnpin:)

that should seal with the washer as stated can try a bit of ptfe to help it along surprised its still leaking

Do not use PTFE make sure that the rubber washer is there in the flexi. Wipe the thread on the tap and a slight smear of LSX, if the rubber washer is not there replace flexi or worse case scenario use a fibre washer.

I need help before i lose my mind lol. I have used 5 of these pushfit fittings now on my bathroom and all have leaked.

892972.jpg

Please tell me what i am doing wrong.

They are leaking from the base of the tap, I have hand tightened them and they leak. I have tightened them tight and they leak, I am going out of my mind can somebody please tell me where i am going wrong, The pushfit part has no problem and is working perfect its when i screw to the tap i am having issue's. I was advised that this is easy. I fell stupid.
Hi mate it seems Watertights post is possibly the best advice i.e. just scrap them as somethings wrong if 5 have leaked. Be assured theres no problem using flexi's when used properly. They get u out of tight spots and save time. What I would suggest is u use John Guest Speed-fit flexi's (thats my first choice but Hep is a good brand also).

However a couple of weeks ago I fitted a bathroom suite and to my surprised (as Ive used speedfit for years) the screw end of the flexis onto the bath taps wouldn't fix/seat properly as the inner pipe at the nut end wouldnt fit into the inner of the tap end. After a bit of head scratching I mentioned it to the customer they said they got taps of internet! I had to use soldered tap connectors instead. Make sure the black washer is seated properly or add a second washer (rubber or fibre dont over tighten rubber as it will split).

Do not use PTFE make sure that the rubber washer is there in the flexi. Wipe the thread on the tap and a slight smear of LSX, if the rubber washer is not there replace flexi or worse case scenario use a fibre washer.

winston whats wrong with ptfe ??

What is LSX?

lsx is a clear sealant smells a bit but not for long comes in a tube you smear it on your finger then onto the thread..not bad stuff but bit messy i would still err towards ptfe but everyone has their own preferances

Are there any circumstances where lsx would be preffered over ptfe?

Ive nvr used LSX in my 25 years of plumbing, PTFE where applicable everytime (boss white and hemp flex prior to that) but again its what the individual is comfortable using.

Please note dont confuse above items with Hawk White type joint compound paste. This is used for brass compression fittings and should not be used on plastic pipework or fittings or where rubber washers are use.

I have heard of hawk white but was taught to wrap ptfe round the olives of the compression joint. Is hawk white better than ptfe on compression olvies?

Just to add....
If you apply PTFE tape to an olive before tightening it, it won't always compress properly. I compress the joint, slacken it off again and then put tape on it, but only when needed. Most of the time I don't use anything and fittings when properly tightened are a water tight seal. Use copper olives especially with plastic pipe as these compress far easier than brass olives and keep anything linseed based or acidic well away from plastic.

The tap thread could have a flat end , ideal for a flat rubber washer or it could have a taper ideal for an old olive fitting and ideal for cutting flat rubber washers ! check the tap tail and do not over tighten.
For those using Hep tap connectors you get the choice of flat or tapered washers for this very reason , the number of merchants that throw the tapers away as they dont know what they are for !!!! ( sorry if Im teaching sucking eggs)
I would only use PTFE on a taper thread.

Last edited:
The tap thread could have a flat end , ideal for a flat rubber washer or it could have a taper ideal for an old olive fitting and ideal for cutting flat rubber washers ! check the tap tail and do not over tighten.
For those using Hep tap connectors you get the choice of flat or tapered washers for this very reason , the number of merchants that throw the tapers away as they dont know what they are for !!!! ( sorry if Im teaching sucking eggs)
I would only use PTFE on a taper thread.
i agree, its the thread ends that is the problem it is cutting past the edges of the rubbers. try putting in a thin washer on top of the other and tighten by hand plus half turn with spanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pushfit Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock