Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber for single pipe system - London, E1W in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarlington

Hi All

We are looking for a plumber to help us with some work on a single pipe heating system, which is fed from a communal boiler.

The system has been working fine and we had been planning on moving the hot water cylinder to another location in our flat, however, as of last week the radiators are no longer getting hot (all of them are colder), with the final radiator on the rung being stone cold.

It is not possible to change to a two pipe system, given the construction of the flat and communal system.

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks!
Simon

if this has happened all of a sudden it is most likely a fault with the boiler, so that will need to be looked at 1st.
you should be able to get a good engineer on here. good luck

In answer to your question, a site visit would be required to confirm but it is highly unlikely that you will be able to convert the system to a two pipe (if you are sure it is a one pipe) Its sudden failure could be down to the pump.
Is your cylinder an indirect one i.e. fed from the heating system ?

Thanks.

The first thing I checked were the boilers - which are all working fine and no neighbours are having any problems. The feed is direct from the boiler. Pretty sure it is a problem in my flat with the mechanical valve we installed which is connected to our thermostat. This has not been working, so we left it open and have been using the mechanical tap to turn the flow of heating on/off.

The system is definitely one pipe and the cylinder (in my flat) is fed from a separate hot water pipe, which comes from the boilers and then feeds the taps and showers.

Thanks
Simon

I think it is the zone valve. The motor failed a while back and it closed with no electricity connected to it, but we manually opened it with the lever attached. I think it has now clogged up/closed most of the way and I can no longer force it open manually, despite there being a lever on it.

Call a plumber out to fix it & they should be able to advise on the rest (post a request on hear if you like)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber for single pipe system - London, E1W in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All I have a single pipe central heating system which was extended 20 years ago when we had an extension. The heating upstairs has never been great particularly in the extended part with only a few of the original radiators getting very hot. We replaced the downstairs radiators with UFH...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock