Discuss Pipe fall from WC outlet to soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gemwand

I am fitting a new toilet into an existing cast iron stack, but in a new position so the stack has been partially dismantled and I have the luxury of being able to design the falls any way I want.

Can anybody advise on what appropriate falls are? There are lots of recommendations, but not all compatible, and little hard information on why the recommendations are as they are.

The old BS toilet specification had an angle at the WC outlet of 14 degrees, that equates to a fall near the outlet of about 1 in 4.

The standard soil stack branch is at an angle of 92.5 degrees, i.e. a slope in the branch of 2.5 degrees. This seems to be linked to one of the standard rules of thumb, half an inch fall for every foot of pipe (imperial), or 1 in 25 (metric).

Another rule of thumb is a fall of 1 in 40, which derives from Maguire's rule for self-cleansing in drain pipes with intermittent flow (fall = radius in mm/2.5).

The new BS 5503 has horizontal WC outlets. The part H building regulations give a fall of between 18mm and 90mm per metre for branch discharge pipes.

I believe that the old standard installations were designed to have a relatively rapid fall (1 in 4) from the WC outlet into to the soil branch, followed by a bend and then a shallower 1 in 24 fall to the main stack.

Can anyone say what (if anything) was wrong with that? Why do people now appear to recommend much shallower falls, particularly from the WC outlet?

Larger diameter pipes. Old cast often had only a 3" branch.

92.5 degrees is fine in 110mm plastic from the wc to through the wall, massive fall not required here as flush impetus is still strong. An appropriate fall Will then need to be obtained from that point depending on the stack position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe fall from WC outlet to soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to...
Replies
Views
I'm a DIYer and have a problematic toilet setup to fix: The waste pipe was installed too high for waste to flow out from a standard toilet...
Replies
Views
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock