Discuss Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the JTM website if its described as galvanised is this steel? Are these more hard wearing?

thanks

so kind of like use the hacksaw to notch the thread that's stuck in then try and sprise it out?

yes but dont cut too far (into rad threads) and cut it top and bottom and then either side and you should be able to work one out then the rest will be easy only prob it takes ages

on the JTM website if its described as galvanised is this steel? Are these more hard wearing?

thanks

well in your post you said brass the only prob with brass is its soft so might cross thread

In galvanized they only have a 'galvanized hollow plug' that has like a square bit on the end-would this be ok?

so kind of like use the hacksaw to notch the thread that's stuck in then try and sprise it out?

My method is to two cuts one at 12 o clock and the second at 10 o clock, once that segment is out then hammer & chisel at 12 o clock towards 10 o clock and downwards, this should take the pressure off the fitting and it will come out by hand.

This is for a right is tight thread.

Last edited:
When the 10 to 12 piece is removed. I would hammer 1 towards 7 or 9 towards 3 which ever gave the most bite.

When the 10 to 12 piece is removed. I would hammer 1 towards 7 or 9 towards 3 which ever gave the most bite.

I wasn`t trying to undo it, more like folding it in towards the centre thus releasing the "grip".

These rads are not designed to work at 3 bar pressure which is the safety valve setting on your combi.
They have spent there lives so far in open vented systems with a head pressure of a floor or two i.e. 0.6 - 1bar.

If I were you I would be testing them first as SimonG suggested, then I would fit a safety valve with a lower setting to the system!

BTW - TBOE for the con's

pressure wont be a problem ive had cast rads with 8 floors on them all the big buildings in london originally had cast iron rads

pressure wont be a problem ive had cast rads with 8 floors on them all the big buildings in london originally had cast iron rads

+1 what do you think the old boilers were made off/ construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock