Discuss non plumbed in rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

i have a vertical rad that needs installing in a kitchen but to wet plumb one in is a bit of a job.
the rad will only be used as an auxiliary unit for an hour in the mornings or occasional.

i was wondering if any one has done one of those rad elements types before and can give some guidance please as this seems the best option.:ciappa:

If you are thinking of sticking a electric element in a sealed rad be careful what you do. Electric radiators are oil filled because the oil (unlike water) expands very little when heated.

If you are thinking of sticking a electric element in a sealed rad be careful what you do. Electric radiators are oil filled because the oil (unlike water) expands very little when heated.

didnt know it could even be done tamz

Not a clever idea with a rad filled with water. There are ways to do it but it is a trade secret :lol:

I've done it loads of times. You just need to leave room for expansion in the radiator. In other words, don't fill it to the brim. The MI will tell you to leave the vent open when you first heat it, so any water can bubble out as it heats up. I do that, but I ensure I buy the correct power element for the radiator and don't over fill it. So I don't end up with water bubbling out on the floor, and I have plenty of room for expansion. Remember to add a dram of inhibitor to it. Sentinal do a tiny bottle just for this purpose.

You will get instructions with the element.

Last edited:
thanks danny,
thats the way i was thinking.
they sell them in skufuxclan with controller and element for around ÂŁ80.
do you need to top then up at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to non plumbed in rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
T
Hello everyone. I've recently bought an old house with no gas, no central heating and a knackered old electric immersion tank. I'm trying to...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
Back