Search the forum,

Discuss No qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

higgie21

Hi guys I live up in Scotland, i work in the oil and gas sector as a mechanic
I am a time served engineer, and do a lot if industrial plumbing on the rig as well as the accommodation plumbing
When i am at home i do a bit of plumbing bathrooms, kitchens, outside tap etc, No heating but i don’t have and plumbing qualifications, what do i need, do i need my bylaw cert and where do stand on doing this, and is it worth it ??

Higgie, you don't need anything except a van BUT if you want to do it right get an SVQ.
If you are on the rigs why are you bothering with the plumbing?
I know the money is down but it is still good!

Hi Higgie

Welcome to the forums,hope you enjoy

I did a little stint at Nigg bay,came out of my time on the Thurs and started there on the Monday and a few seasons on BP fourties platforms out of Aberdeen and a shut down in the Shetlands
Was going to say thats my Scotland link listed but spent 2 years there as a young kid ....can only tell when I say the alphebet quick as I say Ji instead of Ja
As said you should have a good mechanical back ground,so if you are only working in private households all you need is a van,tools and throw in a bit of insurance cover

imho

Thanks for the info

I like to help people out and 3 weeks at home on leave can be a bit long

The odd bathroom and kitchen dont go a miss, and the odd homer i dont mind

And a bit of extra cash is good

Offshore is good cash as well

and i was just looking at where i stand

Thank you

You dont need any qualifications BY LAW provided you are not doing gas but if you want to be doing home services full time, Not sure if this is the same in scotland, might be different numbers?

1. City & Guilds 6129 – Technical Certificate Level 2
2. City & Guilds 6129 – Technical Certificate Level 3
(mixed answers as to whether this is definitely required, but probably)

Then you MUST get a job with a Gas Safe registered plumber and then begin:

3. NVQ 6089 Level 2 – Domestic OR Commercial (choose carefully)
4. NVQ 6089 Level 3 – 3 to choose from
5. City & Guilds 6048 – Part L – Energy efficiency (needed to sign off boiler installations)
6. The following technical certificates are also HIGHLY recommended
a. Unvented Water
b. Water Regulations 1999
c. Electricity – Part P
7. ACS exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock