Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler - pressure dropping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Its been approximately 3 months since we had our new boiler installed. The job involved removing/disposing old conventional boiler from kitchen and installing a new (system) boiler in the attic. Furthermore we dumped the small HW cylinder for a larger one and a new Grunfos pump was added.

Quite annoyingly its been requiring a top up of water quite regularly - It drops 0.5bar in 3-4 days.

Before i go down the arduous route of calling the plumber who installed it (long story) i thought id do some preliminary checks myself.

Theres no obvious sign of a leak anywhere and Ive checked the PRV valve outlet which is dry. The ground floor pipework is encased in the concrete foundation so no joy here (I'll assume this is ok until Ive exhausted other possibilities). I have read that a leaky heat exchanger could be a possibility. The condensate pipe connects directly to the soil pipe. I was thinking of disconnecting it from the hose at the boiler end and checking for drips overnight with the boiler off. What do you think?

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!

When you go to bed...
Pressurise the boiler and make an accurate note of the pressure.

Then turn it off amd also islolate the flow and return valves on the underside.

This will seal off the boiler from the rest of the system.

If in the morning the pressure is exactly as it was the night before - the problem lays with your system somewhere and not the boiler.

If you do this make sure the boiler is off and set the pressure cold.

Thank you all for your replies.

The old boiler was a conventional type and the new boiler is a Valiant 430 system boiler. We did away with the F&E tank but the cold water storage tank remains.

I couldn't find any valves to isolate the flow and return pipes near the boiler. This pipes run into the airing cupboard so I'll take a look there but i dont expect to find any.

Tonight, with a cold system and boiler off, i'll check for leaks through the condensate pipe and feedback my findings.

IMG_3036.jpgIMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
A 430 is not a system boiler.

If it starts with 4 it's a regular boiler. Vaillant system Boilers start with a 6.

It may well be on a sealed system !

As per usual, I cannot open the photo's you posted. ( Forum Fault I think )

Ive checked the invoice and it says ecotec 430 - i'll check the boiler when i get home.

So potentially he's installed a regular boiler and pressurized the system?? This sounds bad!

Ive checked the invoice and it says ecotec 430 - i'll check the boiler when i get home.

So potentially he's installed a regular boiler and pressurized the system?? This sounds bad!

ps right mouse click and open in new window/tab works with the photos.

Last edited:
No it's not bad. Don't panic !
It's sometimes a better idea dependent on your system.

If it's a regular boiler, it won't have valves like a system boiler would.

I would advise you get the Installer out to check it over. That boiler has a seven year warranty doesn't it ?

I would advise you get the Installer out to check it over. That boiler has a seven year warranty doesn't it ?

thanks for re-assuring me! the boiler has 7 years warranty.

He told me he was installing a system boiler - oh well!

I hope this won’t invalidate the warranty.

It's a perfectly acceptable system set up. Don't worry and definitely won't invalidate anything. Get him back though to take a look

Does this imply the condensate test mentioned earlier won’t work?

Not if you can't isolate the boiler and you probably can't. That's why it's best to get him back to check over it. It may be a problem with your existing system and therefore a separate. issue to the new boiler

Sometimes, changing from open vented to sealed will show up leaks that went unnoticed before the change

Does this imply the condensate test mentioned earlier won’t work?

Not if you can't isolate the boiler and you probably can't. That's why it's best to get him back to check over it. It may be a problem with your existing system and therefore a separate. issue to the new boiler

Sometimes, changing from open vented to sealed will show up leaks that went unnoticed before the change

Additionally and as regards the engineer that installed it.

The regular boiler is cheaper but there is more work and material involved in fitting it so it would possibly end up the same cost. He may have decided so fit that because it will work out a better idea for your particular circumstances !

Additionally and as regards the engineer that installed it.

The regular boiler is cheaper but there is more work and material involved in fitting it so it would possibly end up the same cost. He may have decided so fit that because it will work out a better idea for your particular circumstances !

So I went ahead with the condensate test. With the boiler turned off, I simply disconnected the hose at the boiler end and placed a container beneath to catch any water over night.

This morning i measured approx 50ml of water caught in the container. I noticed it was still slowly dripping so i swapped the container for a fresh one. Having returned after an 1.5 hours there was approx 1 tablespoon of water in the container. I hope these results are meaningful.

Surely this water cant be condensate??

Vaillant Boilers, siphon the trap out in one go so I would expect the trap to fill and then empty. Even if it was water from a burst heat exchanger !

I would expect you to find more than a few teaspoonfulls to be honest but I cannot say for certain.

My advice is to get an Engineer to check it for you.

You shouldn't work on a gas appliance unless you're Gas Safe Registered.

Concrete floors , corrosion & expansion issues are the enemies !

(When Hot any slow leaks elsewhere may evaporate .. installer may have some tricks up his sleeve for this )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler - pressure dropping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock