Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Mugshot Part Deux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
What make are these fittings? At first squint I thought hep. But they're black? As is the pipe?

What would you do/use to run new tails going up to basin?

photo0593x.jpg

not sure what make they are but if you cant match or get rid of it I'd leave alone and join with copper into the tees.

Black????

When they can out we all said what a load of rubbish,stupid idea,seems they were just ahead of the times!!
Mind you,who would have though jubilee clips and rubber hose would have become the norm on boilers or outside tap kits
All system water pressures gone up and quality of pipework carrying it gone down
I know some of the old plumbing was over kill but seem to be swinging the other way !!:(

imho

In fairness though Puddle. It looks as though these fittings have been there since the early 1980's. Copper installations only carry a 25 year guarantee and they've topped it!

It looks as though these fittings have been there since the early 1980's. !

Thats what I mean,looks like been there since early eighties.......they were only put in 4 weeks ago :D:D

But seriously,you are right,they are lasting the test of time :)... in this case ;)

Also the pipe is compatible with modern push fit

So if the pipe is compatible with pushfit and those fittings are 25 years old, would the safest thing be to leave the fittings alone, cut the pipes just above the T's and put on a push-fit coupler? Or would it have to be a hep coupler? And would this defintely work? 'Cos otherwise I'm guessing I'm boned.

I would follow heps instructions and use there fittings with the correct insert but as the O/D is the same you could just use any push fit and not bother with insert, up to you.

Eco

Just a thought you can take the fitting to pieces (tee) and remove the old pipe put it all back together and 15 copper will push straight in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sure an Irish firm bought the Bartol Acorn moulds and still sell it , its now grey .
The O rings are starting to perish now ( thats what ive found any way)
Remember the Barlo Duo same era !

Well I'd want to do whatever will definetly work and would be easiest and cheapest, really. But I like the idea of having a plan B.

So am I right in thinking from reading your link (thanks for posting it) that the plan B would be to join straight into the existing acorn T with a fresh bit of normal 15mm hep pipe with a normal hep insert?

So far I've never used hep. I'd have to get some and have a practise.

Edit:

Just a thought you can take the fitting to pieces (tee) and remove the old pipe put it all back together and 15 copper will push straight in.

Would it? Well that would be the easiest shot surely? I mean I know copper would fit, you can see it does in the picture. Just would be worried about whether it would seal after disturbing old, unusual fittings.

Last edited:
watch out for the grey plastic one coming in ( cant recall its make) but we had a few estates around here built using it , its usually on the mains and is just under 15mm and uses a male thread with a bush up to 1/2" as photo then a FIxC very hard to get hold of here.:eek:

I would be very very careful with the polyork plastic futher back because if it cold it shatters very easy. I used acorn in 1983, I am told the o rings are just starting to perish.
Richard

Ah thats what they are!

We have loads of those fittings on our central heating, all on copper pipe though, no plastic. Ages ago when I was at school we had an open vent to combi swap and a few days later a 22mm acorn elbow flew off in the loft on the hot water.

All the other ones still holding up! :)

This was in 1994 and 16 years later the Vokera Excell combi is still going strong.
Thanks for the pictures Watertight, I've always wondered what those fittings were at home, I've never seen them anywhere else.

Last edited:
Well I'd want to do whatever will definetly work and would be easiest and cheapest, really. But I like the idea of having a plan B.

So am I right in thinking from reading your link (thanks for posting it) that the plan B would be to join straight into the existing acorn T with a fresh bit of normal 15mm hep pipe with a normal hep insert? Yes or copper

So far I've never used hep. I'd have to get some and have a practise.

You could train a monkey in 5 mins....... even know some sparks who can do it:D:D:D

Edit:

Would it? Well that would be the easiest shot surely? I mean I know copper would fit, you can see it does in the picture. Just would be worried about whether it would seal after disturbing old, unusual fittings.

If worried just cut the old and fit hep connector:)

Convert using a compression fitting and use what you like thereafter. What you leave existing is not down to you. There are whole houses built with this stuff, the only problem I have been to in the last few years was a split tank connector thread si I changed it to a brass one as you do.

Thats what I mean,looks like been there since early eighties.......they were only put in 4 weeks ago :D:D

But seriously,you are right,they are lasting the test of time :)... in this case ;)

enough said really"in this case" seen plenty of the grey version of these break down

The pipe on the left coming out the wall looks like Polyyork that was about late 70"s early 80"s. Be careful with it, i can snap like a carrot.

The pipe on the left coming out the wall looks like Polyyork that was about late 70"s early 80"s. Be careful with it, i can snap like a carrot.

Known as Durapipe round our way.
You can still get fittings for it, but it needs expensive glue that takes a few hours to go off !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mugshot Part Deux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock