Search the forum,

Discuss Lost skills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheWeekendGuys

Does anybody still bend s/w pipe these days?

I was quite impressed when I saw this on a job, Ive not been shown how to do it but it could come in handy now and then.
Most plumbing colleges have stopped teaching lead work for some years now, what other skills are we losing?

Attachments

• DSC_0891.jpg
    DSC_0891.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 224
led welding
led flashings
flue/drain pipe flashing
anything to do with lead
how to use a bender
how to solder
how to clip pipes

:D

You can't beat the old high level cistern. One flush and it's gone!

We're losing the skill of cutting out balanced flue holes with a hammer and chisel. Not sure if that's a bad thing.

Does anybody still bend s/w pipe these days?

I was quite impressed when I saw this on a job, Ive not been shown how to do it but it could come in handy now and then.
Most plumbing colleges have stopped teaching lead work for some years now, what other skills are we losing?

Thats sold in kit form - its called a 3 piece sidewall flushpipe. Still available now.

You buy them like that now pre formed 3 piece flush pipe ...used to be done in lead for high level cisterns had one in the house I grew up in with a cast iron well bottom cistern....was a while ago ..lol regards Turnpin:D

You can't beat the old high level cistern. One flush and it's gone!

We're losing the skill of cutting out balanced flue holes with a hammer and chisel. Not sure if that's a bad thing.

They aint a bad price either

They stopped lead work the year after I did it in college, not touched the stuff since apart from the pre-made flue slates

The pipe in the picture has definitely been done on site, the bends are good but slightly crumpled. Would they have fillled it with sand and heated it?

e2e9e1fbdf2894de87d0af610ad504e7.jpg
028fb13c12e0ad96a54ce312df1e9a96.jpg
0878d1b15da7d25aee41562fcd6c5c37.jpg
7fdaf2f81bb8ad00fdb81203ce4d2f60.jpg
c9aacbe005cddf5323937399792e4921.jpg
2e14e0b994f1d03d2e3f0dfea5cab893.jpg
41b8cfc564ff9f7c9249ef2b23df938e.jpg
6a489ade121eecc5eba0f398977966e2.jpg

Some times it's nice to bring the old stuff back to life. every other plumber just wonted to replace this one with plastic but the customer wonted to try and keep some of the original features. so they where happy when I said I could do this for them.

I hated lead work at college. I could do the flashings etc it was just the welding I struggled with. I almost had my lead slate perfect and lost concentration for a split second and pop. In the end I pinched a mates slate and passed it off as my own lol.

Only ever done lead work once since college and I think I had to do it as the old boy couldn't carry it or bend over anymore. Apparently he used to do loads and was awesome.

Definitely not a bad thing! I'm still surprised that my left hand isn't seriously deformed from my apprenticeship.

It was about thirty years ago that I wiped my last lead joint.

Copper work in general. I've not been in the trade for donkeys years but I like to see things done properly A nice offset or a decent clipped straight pipe is like plumber **** to me

Copper work in general. I've not been in the trade for donkeys years but I like to see things done properly A nice offset or a decent clipped straight pipe is like plumber **** to me

Mate you really need to find yourself a good women and get out more! lol

Noted. And you are 100% right

I get told off for that when out with the family but that's life

Not missing my child hood skill , stood on toilet rim , lifting steel lid , and jiggling float valve to get it to fall again to refill .
Can definitely verify gunky messy state they got in .
There's nothing flimsy about the OLD Bell flush !

B
e2e9e1fbdf2894de87d0af610ad504e7.jpg
028fb13c12e0ad96a54ce312df1e9a96.jpg
0878d1b15da7d25aee41562fcd6c5c37.jpg
7fdaf2f81bb8ad00fdb81203ce4d2f60.jpg
c9aacbe005cddf5323937399792e4921.jpg
2e14e0b994f1d03d2e3f0dfea5cab893.jpg
41b8cfc564ff9f7c9249ef2b23df938e.jpg
6a489ade121eecc5eba0f398977966e2.jpg

Some times it's nice to bring the old stuff back to life. every other plumber just wonted to replace this one with plastic but the customer wonted to try and keep some of the original features. so they where happy when I said I could do this for them.

Lee, classy looking job mate.
What did you spray the inside with?

i never did any lead work in college, ive dabbled in lead flashing but only when working with someone who knows what there doing,

i hate lead pipe work though, if i come to a job with lead its not a good day for me

i did lead welding,was fun,dont do much now though,very seldom

Never do lead work. About as useful learning that as it was learning matrices in maths at school

Lead has gone discontinued. Now they just make plastic looking chimneys on new builds with roof angles and the good old slated roofs I think it's tin now in place for sheet lead weathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lost skills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock