Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Loss of pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spursman

Hi,

Plumbing novice here so please go easy!

We have a convential potterton boiler, with a megaflo hot water cylinder and cubex expansion vessel.

I have noticed gurgling sounds in the pipework when the boiler starts and saw that the pressure of the system (normally 1bar) was at zero! I have repressurised the system when cold and also bled the radiators, but it still seems to be losing pressure. Also, despite the bleeding of my radiators, there still seems to be air in some of the radiators if I check them a few hours after bleeding, especially the heated towel rails.

Can anyone suggest a likely cause? My biggest concern is a leaking pipe, but I see no evidence of a leak through walls/ceiling. I guess the leak could be on our ground floor level and therefore I wouldn't detect it...

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

50 50 - leak or pressure relief valve operating

check for leaks, check relief pipework - if pressure relief valve operating then problems could be due to overheating - or expansion vessel fault or not large enough.

good luck pal

It's probably the expansion vessel. However, I'd like someone else to confirm this for me as I'm not 100% sure as to what all the symptoms are.

To check if your expansion vessel needs recharging.
With your system cold fill upto 1.25 bar, then turn on your heating [full] & watch the pressure guage, if pressure rises upto 3bar it will drop all of a sudden as the pressure relief will release water.
Get a Engineer to repressurize the exp vessel.

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice.

The system when hot does not go above the 1 bar that I repressurised it to.

The 1 bar slowly decreases to 0 over a few hours. I checked the system about 1/2hr ago and it was at zero again...

Check safety blow off isn't dripping, if so you've got a leak on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loss of pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock