Discuss Long life oil hoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
How often should these be changed? On worcesters they say the hoses should be changed every year is this even with long life hoses?

That's a good question, as the oil hoses don't come with a recommended lifespan. Wish that was clear with each type of hose.
As far as I know, some long life are 5 years. The standard oil hoses are probably better changed every year, but we all know they can last much longer.
Riello hoses are not very long lasting usually. The Electro oil hoses seem to be capable of lasting years.
But do you leave a hose unchanged & risk oil spillage later, especially after you have moved the hoses during a service?

I always understood that long life hoses should be changed when their nature alters, i.e. they are no longer as supple, soft and flexible as a new hose.

I always understood that long life hoses should be changed when their nature alters, i.e. they are no longer as supple, soft and flexible as a new hose.
I think that was the case until one or two years ago. AFAIK it is 5 years now?
I do not use anything but SS braided hoses. And since a while they come with a manufacturing date. Too many problems with standard hoses including unexplained oil smells without any leakage.

There is something odd that the Bentone braided hoses last for many years (yet supposed to be replaced) & the similar looking other brands, like Riello hoses for example, are liable to leak at any time. Obviously not fit for purpose.
The old boilers with the copper pipe joined direct to them, may have been a pain to have to undo the nut to remove the entire burner, but At least they didn't leak, unlike flexible oil hoses! :smile:

Cheers for the replies the reason I am asking is my stockist is starting to supply long life hoses with a guarantee of 2 years so I was tempted to say to change them in 2 years then should something go wrong its in guarantee.

I always use long life hoses nowadays, and tend to replace when they start to deteriorate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Long life oil hoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock