Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leaking overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skwish

Hi all ....... just a quick question if poss

I came home from work today to find the overflow pipe outside the house pouring out with hot water. After having a look on google someone suggested as a temporary measure to run the hot water tap to stop the leak, which it did for a few minutes before starting to dribble out the overflow again slowly before gradually getting worse to the point of pouring out.

The boiler (which im assuming its coming from) is an old copper boiler in a cupboard in one of the bedrooms.....ive switched off the 'power' switch to the boiler in the cupboard and also turned off the heating, although i think thats from another boiler thats in the kitchen.

Ive been in touch with my landlord who has got someone coming round fisrt thing in the morning to look at it.....but while googleing for a solution to stop the water pouring out i came across a few articles on boilers having faulty valves of some sort, building up with steam and basicly blowing up!

So my question (after that life story) is, if the boilers switched off at the electric mains, will it be safe untill a plumber can come to check it out?
And is there anyway to stop the overflow from pouring out water?

On a side note, we have noticed sometimes during the night the boiler is on and bubbling away without ever switching off untill its turned off with the electric switch

any help is much appriciated

it sounds like you are refering to the cylinder and your immersion heater? if your immersions is bubbling away its sound like it may need a new thermostat.

to stop the overflow try turning off your cold mains supply to the tank in the loft or the main stop tap into the house, after filling up some bottles for water of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the...
Replies
Views
I have a leak from my shower, it's coming down into my kitchen. I've had the sealant, waste pipe and tray all checked. I've also had the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i hope somebody can help me, i seem to have a leak from my GreeStar 30si boiler, it looks like it coming from the Siphon container, from the...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock