Discuss leaking cold tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davedeee

hi. have just moved and the cold tap in bath is dripping. have turned off stopcock downstairs, and then run tap, but it seems to go on forever. how long will water run for before it stops. need to do this so that can dismantle tap head, to change brass valve inside tap. hopefully this will stop constant dripping.

Last edited by a moderator:
probably fed from a tank in loft, pop in loft and isolate main tank

Hi Davedeee.
The bath tap is prob fed from your tank in the loft, pop up and see if there is a gate vale on the cold feed. If not you will have to wait untill the tank is empty.
Hope this helps.

hi, thanks for your quick reply. this is new to me but don't know what to do once located main tank? is there stopcock up there? what if more than one tap? where roughly would this be located, and how long before water stops coming out of tap before I can dismantle top of tap and remove valve? I hoped that stopcock downstairs would do job. does that just usually stop water from sink downstairs?

hi mark, thanks for your quick reply. this is new to me, but what is 'gate vale or valve', what does it look like, and where will it be situated. I hoped this would be an easy job.

When you have found your tank, the large one,if you have 2. Look for a pipes coming out of the lower section. look along the pipe and you should find a valve with a round head on it. you may have 2 valves as one may feed you hot water cylinder.turn them both off if this is the case. the water should stop quickly as it will just empty the pipe.

many thanks for your valued information. I will now try and get this sorted next weekend as on my way out now. much appreciated.

I wasn't being witty, you are unsure on how to shut off the water, or isolate the tap. It doesn't sound like you have the experience and last thing you want is for it to go wrong.

How powerful is the water coming out of that cold bath tap?

If its powerful it may be mains and the stopcock is broken

Does the stopcock isolate the kitchen cold tap?

I was called out to an emergency the other day. A girl's dad had gone to fix her leaking tap by changing the washer. On mains. Hadn't actually thought to isolate the water at all. But his problem came when trying to undo the valve he twisted tap and the tap connector underneath the basin came loose. I popped round and he'd already done a runner, possibly in shame. Pots and pans all over kitchen below to try and catch torrent coming through ceiling.

Thing is, changing a tap washer does sound so basic that most people will have a go but it can actually go quite badly wrong if you've never done it before.

ok, but I've had a few weird comments, and thought yours was one of them, so apologies to you.

No worries I should of put more in my original post but using iPhone and it kept crashing so just miscommunication on my part. Hopefully you manage to get the job done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to leaking cold tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then...
Replies
Views
I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in...
Replies
Views
I have a Bristan Manhattan mixer tap in the kitchen. Five years ago, it started to drip. I replaced the valve in the cold water side and the...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the...
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock